Hydraulic brakes to power brakes question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hydraulic brakes to power brakes question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-28-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
Jeep'N 4 Fun

Location: Central California <-- Thanks scottahicks for correcting me on my location. _____(:-)-}-<
Hydraulic brakes to power brakes question

I'm new to the jeep world and I just bought a '74 cj5 renagade. Right now it has hydraulic brakes on it and I was wondering if there was a conversion kit to turn it into power brakes. I've looked around and have found nothing yet. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3" suspension Lift,
WARN locking hubs,
33X10.5X15 BF goodrich Mud Terrian T/A,
Tow hooks F & R,
KC daylighters,
Dana 30 Front and Dana 44 Rear
and more to come.[/color]
Jeep'N 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #2
AtlantaCJ6

Jeepn 4 fun,

Your Jeep was available with power brakes so it shouldn't be that hard. You need to find a brake booster and bracket (ebay, junkyard, etc...) and cobble things together. I would go ahead and buy a new master cylinder at the same time just to be sure you are working with good parts. You'll also need to connect the booster to a vacuum source on the engine. Its really a very easy swap.

One warning though, when the motor quits so do the power brakes. This is a key thing to remember when you are going downhill on a trail. If you have any carb problems that make your jeep a little prone to stalling on hills you could find yourself running off the trail or into the Jeeps in front of you.

Good Luck,
Unread 03-03-2003, 03:50 PM   #3
CJ7Jeff

I'll agree with what AtlantaCJ said. There are also places that make brakets for this kind of conversion.

Just for clarification, even power brakes are hydraulic. Hydraulic refers to the brake fluid. Adding power assist just makes them power assisted hydraulic brakes.
Unread 03-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
mad_scientist

You may have to change some of your brake lines too, as hydrallic assist brakes have smaller lines (usually). If you go through the trouble of upgrading almost everything, perhaps you should look into simply upgrading with a ford 1/2 ton brakes, as they too fit 15" rims, but have larger pistons and should give you better braking than stock CJ parts.
Unread 03-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
scottahicks

this is what you need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33566
make shure you ask the seller if it comes with all the bracketry?

here is another on complete
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33566
good luck I hope this helps

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
Jeep'N 4 Fun

Location: Central California <-- Thanks scottahicks for correcting me on my location. _____(:-)-}-<
Thanks for all of your help guys. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. You guys certinly know more then I do on this one. Thanks again.
3" suspension Lift,
WARN locking hubs,
33X10.5X15 BF goodrich Mud Terrian T/A,
Tow hooks F & R,
KC daylighters,
Dana 30 Front and Dana 44 Rear
and more to come.[/color]
Jeep'N 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.