Hydo clutch converstion question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hydo clutch converstion question

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 10-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
eak0703
1984 CJ7 

Hydo clutch converstion question

I am rebuilding my CJ7 and have a YJ tub that's in very good condition. The YJ tub doesn't have the hole near the floor for the mechanical clutch linkage rod. Since my linkage is pretty worn out, I thought it might be a good idea to just go to hydro clutch setup.

Will my pedals (which attach to the mechanical clutch) be adaptable to actuate the clutch master cylinder? Or will I have to find new pedals somewhere?

Also - would I be able to use the master/slave from Autozone?

Slave Link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=69715_0_0_
Master Link: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=733832_0_0_

Almost forgot - my transmission is a T5. Would that autozone slave bolt on?

Thanks

eak0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I converted mine over years ago using generic parts from Rockauto, instead of those pricey kits. There should already be holes in the bellhousing to accept the slave cylinder. The only issue I had was the piston did not have enough reach for the clutch, and I had to rig up an adapter to give it an extra inch or so of reach.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Couple of threads on this forum addressing rod length. some use a threaded rod and couple. I just kept the pedal set up form the YJ tub as it came with it.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
eak0703
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
There should already be holes in the bellhousing to accept the slave cylinder.
There are many options on Rockauto - will any of the CJ slave cylinders bolt up?

Here's the link to the whole page of em.

I think my best bet might be to try out the autozone one. It's pretty cheap and I would get something in my hands to test out. Plus if it doesn't fit..It's easy enough to return it.

I'm always paranoid from ordering parts from a catalog that I'm not sure will fit
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
eak0703
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
... some use a threaded rod and couple. I just kept the pedal set up form the YJ tub as it came with it.
Interesting point about the threaded rod. If mine is short I could always go that route. I could probably also weld/custom fab my own.

My YJ tub didn't come with pedals - So I don't have too many options there. Either I find some way to adapt my CJ pedals or I need to go out and get another pedal/whole pedal set.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.