Humbly asking for help once more.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Humbly asking for help once more....

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Humbly asking for help once more....

Ok ladies and gents....another dreaded wiring question. I'm starting to think I'm in over my head on this one. When I purchased my 78/82/84 CJ7 the PO had hacked the stock wiring harness all to pieces. So I stripped it out and bought a 21 Circuit Universal Harness w/ prewired fuse block. I've got a majority of the wires in their respective bundles laid in the places where they need to go (tail section is in the back, interior is under the dash, and the engine bay is ran through the fire wall). Here's where I am stumped, on a majority of the wires for the engine compartment, I have NO CLUE where they are supposed to go. Here is a list of the wires that come through the firewall:

Solenoid Power
Alt Power
Fan
Temp Sensor
Alt Exciter
Coil Pos
AC Compressor
Tachometer
Power Antenna
Choke Power
Oil Sending
Left Low Beam (Splits to Right Low Beam)
Left High Beam (Splits to Right High Beam)
Horn
Left Front Park (Splits to Right Front Park)
Ign Start Switch
Right Front Signal
Left Front Signal

Here's what I know about the motor as of right now:
1982 AMC 258 4.2L
Offenhauser Intake
Holley 390CFM 4BBL Carb
Mallory Distributor

If you guys would kindly point me in the proper direction as to where the wires are supposed to go, I would be greatly appreciative. I've tried following the Haynes manual schematic, but let's be honest - I'm a Marine, I need pictures.

Here is what I am working with:

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
LiveTo4x4
1977 CJ7 

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ng-diagram.gif

I don't know if this will help. It is a mix of years on one page, but, if you take the time a trace them out, it might help. It can be printed and taped together, too.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
frankush
2002 WJ 

The Haynes can leave a lot to be desired. The link to the factory 82 manual is below. Wiring can sometimes be confusing even to an old sparky like me. Start by working with what you know and do not cut anything. Seperate the wires according to where they go in the engine compartment. Solenoid, alternator, coil, headlights, etc. to the left side. If you're not sure where a component is, look it up in the factory manual. Loosely cable tie the larger bundles together and hang them off the firewall or fender. When you get to a component with multiple wires, look up that particular item in the manual. For example, the section on the alternator will tell you which terminal on the alternator gets which wire. Take your time. You want it all to work the first time. Before you terminate anything, get some of the loom material (overwrap for bundles) and pretty it up. I would try and get an understanding of every wire and exactly where it goes before I start terminating anything. Figure out what type of terminal you'll need to install on the end of the wire and have it on hand. Try not to go cheap here. If using stak-ons, buy a tool just for crimping stak-ons and not a universal type. You'll get better crimps. Soldering is better but that takes more skill. Don't forget heat shrink. The kind with the adhesive is best, but hard to find. Do it right the first time and you won't have to mess with it for years. You may want to check into weatherpack connectors as well. Hope this helps.

http://oljeep.com/edge_82_tsm.html
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
mulliflier
1984 CJ7 

Also, and I feel you on the need for pictures, but when I was wiring my 84 CJ7, I went and bought a cool book on automotive wiring. At first I was afraid I wouldn't be able to follow it, but the author used pictures and made it very readable to normal people. It wasn't a sole source or anything, but it was a hell of a primer that let me get the basics of the harness and what does what and why, and then I had a LOT more luck with being able to follow diagrams and whatnot. I think the whole thing was maybe 100 pages, but like I said it was very readable, got through it in a couple of afternoons and it made a world of difference if you're just starting out with wiring.

The book is "Automotive Electrical Handbook," published by HPBooks, and the author is Jim Horner. I think I found it on Amazon a couple of years ago, now it's well-worn and highlighted. If you're looking for a broad-overview starting point, this has worked for me.

Good luck man!
-Mike M.
mulliflier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for your service SgtJensen !

Don't let the mess of wires scare you off, looks like you got a good start on things.
Let's start with whose harness it is and if it came with a manual?

I've used a Summit Racing universal harness in the past on another project and their manual left a whole lot left to be desired especially if this is your first go at something like this.

one suggestion i will make to you is start with where everything is going to go and eliminate what you aren't going to use.

i would put them into sub groups like this:

Lights/Horn: - all of these will go forward towards the grille to their destinations
Left Low Beam (Splits to Right Low Beam)
Left High Beam (Splits to Right High Beam)
Horn
Left Front Park (Splits to Right Front Park)
Right Front Signal
Left Front Signal

Engine all of these will go to the engine and terminate at their destinations
Oil Sending
Temp Sensor
Alt Power - to altenator
Alt Exciter - to altenator

Ignition Module and/or Coil these wires will connect at either your ICM and/or Coil depeding on what you are using
Ign Start Switch
Coil Pos

Starter Solenoid this wire will go to your starter solenoid
Solenoid Power - trigger wire for starter solenoid

these are wires you may not be using:
Fan - for electric radiator fans
AC Compressor -
Tachometer - if you have a tach this can go with ICM/Coil bunch
Power Antenna -
Choke Power - if you have Elec. Choke on your Carb. this can go to the engine group

from here you can chase down wiring schematics for individual components as needed to see where each individual wire goes to for your particular application
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice and direction...suddenly not so intimidating...

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's just like laying pipe.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

maybe this will help some...
cj-wiring-colored.jpg  

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.