hub or axle shaft joint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hub or axle shaft joint?

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

hub or axle shaft joint?

Last night wheelin heard a loud snap/pop sound when stuck trying to get up over something while articulating. After getting past that now it pops every few seconds. Once i got to a clearing is turned hard right and backed up and it goes snap.... snap..... snap.... someone said it might be a blown hub which i have never heard but to me it sounds and feels like the u joint in the axle shaft. Any thoughts? What happens if you blow a hub? Being that plastic piece it wouldnt sound like this would it?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
AFjeepMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like a u-joint. try to wiggle the u-joint around, there should be no play if it's good.

[COLOR="Red"][_l_[COLOR="black"],[/COLOR][____][COLOR="Black"],[/COLOR]
l----L - [COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]lllllll[COLOR="Black"]O[/COLOR]-[/COLOR]
(o)_) (o)_)--)_)

[COLOR="Green"]Wife≥Jeep>GF

Relearn your priorities.[/COLOR]

WANTED: SYE and cv shaft...good condition and good price. for a TJ with about 5-6" of lift.
AFjeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The front hubs are steel but the hub lockouts are a combination of parts.

The internals of the hub lockouts are not all plastic. The parts that actually apply force are metal but they can still break.

If it's the lockout, you should be able to see a cracked housing... replacement is easy since it bolts to the outside of the hub, however you'll need snap ring pliers.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Dont need any snap ring plyers, lol. Just need a small flat head screwdriver. But sounds like something is wrong lol. See if it still makes the noise after unlocking the hub. Run diagnostic on it, test out things, all that fun stuff. We can give you ideas, but only you know the exact sounds, and where it was coming from.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like a good time to pull it apart and use quality Spicer u-joints.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle , axle shaft , hubs , lockouts , stub shaft , ujoint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.