HOWTO: AMC 20 OEM TRAC-LOK dismount/mount - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HOWTO: AMC 20 OEM TRAC-LOK dismount/mount

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #16
benullman
1981 CJ7 

No welding the spiders for me. I wants a regular trac-lock for the streets. I understand the whole spooled/welded thing. I was just curious if the dana 44 scout track lock was the same or if there was another procedure because the spiders have some cracked teeth and need rebuilding

Ben

Unread 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I loved my welded up crap-lok so much that when I built my Dana 60 rear, I put a full spool in it. Sure makes the Jeep track strait going down the road. It barks a little on tight corners but not too bad.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
No welding the spiders for me. I wants a regular trac-lock for the streets. I understand the whole spooled/welded thing. I was just curious if the dana 44 scout track lock was the same or if there was another procedure because the spiders have some cracked teeth and need rebuilding

Ben
If you're talking about a DANA 44 of CJ, it looks like the same than a AMC 20 look at >>> HERE <<<

So same tip/hack

Gilles
Unread 06-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post

Ben
Depends on year. There were some changes, but I don't know exactly what changes or what years those changes came into effect.

Spline count on axles might be different for the side gears also...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
"Track Lock" is AMC's version of a 'Posi', like 'Posi-Trac' was GM's.
Even though they used the same differentials from the same companies, they gave them different 'Marketing' names...
Mopar also used the name Trac-Lok; I had a Dodge Ram with 4.10:1 Trac-Lok Dana 80.

Dana Spicer was the manufacturer of the Trac-Lok and came up with the name, if anyone cares.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #21
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Checking runout...

The runout of the cage must be checked:
and must NOT exceed 0.002" !!! (0.05mm) Otherwise the backlash can't be set

Mine does not exceed 0.03mm (~+0.001")
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Old post I know but I wanted to say thanks for making the picture tutorial. It convinced me I could do it myself and it was much simpler than I believed. One question though, originally I only had very little resistance with the old clutch packs (one hand could hold the axle shaft and my teenage son could turn the other). Now I need to use a crowbar on each end of the axle shaft but I can still get it to break free, How much resistance should I have?
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #23
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
Old post I know but I wanted to say thanks for making the picture tutorial. It convinced me I could do it myself and it was much simpler than I believed. One question though, originally I only had very little resistance with the old clutch packs (one hand could hold the axle shaft and my teenage son could turn the other). Now I need to use a crowbar on each end of the axle shaft but I can still get it to break free, How much resistance should I have?
You're Welcome!

This is quite normal ! (mine too was hard to turn but not with a crowbar )

By the way, do you have put some oil on each washer of the new clutch pack ?

Regards,

Gilles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.