How's this estimate for body work & paint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How's this estimate for body work & paint?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-16-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
CJerseyboy

How's this estimate for body work & paint?

hey fellows-I need to have rust patches as well as dings and dents smoothed, and I gotta quote for $600-700 fully done, including old paint stripping, corvette black paint, clearcoat, and some weatherstripping redone. This was my first shop I tried, and I'm curious how that price sounds-Its lower than I expected. Opinions??

Its for sale! Check it out on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4512947182
CJerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
bstruckm

Is that including a full paint job? Sounds way too low to be quality work.

I'd be a little leary
bstruckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
CJerseyboy

I was taken off guard when he said that too, but I think I might be gettin a deal cause he said that he used to have a CJ back in the day, and it might be a nostalga thing for him...it's central PA, I dunno how prices vary by region

Its for sale! Check it out on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4512947182
CJerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
shonuff

Well...

Depends are they shooting the outside only, or interior and under hood & etc?

A simple exterior only paint job minus any body work would run around 500 and that would include prepping for paint (sanding, not stripping to metal) @ a Maaco type paint shop. They may do minor body work for a cpl hundred more, albiet that body work is ala bondo!

At a better quality shop you would be looking @ around 1500+ to strip it work the body repair, paint the inner body etc... and use a good quality base/clear paint system.

Make sure its an actual 2 part paint system not some cobo paint with clear coat built in. Also remember black is not very forgiving & shoddy bodywork is magnified in black paint.

BTW on avg. expect to pay 40-60 hr for labor to prep & do body work @ most shops. I would get him to give you the quote break down on paper so you can compare other shops. A simple price quote is not the best way to evaluate the cost. Some places use better paint than others, some use fiberglass filler while some buy bondo by the case, etc... so being able to see where the money breaks down into the cost for each task allows you to judge prices better.
Unread 09-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

What is the name of the shop? I know a guy in central PA that has a shop.....If it is him, you will get decent work. Wheeler is his name.

--BIGJ
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
Flat Black

Also be VERY weary of the guy who low-balls the estimate to get you in the door and then all of a sudden 3 days later the price and time goes up a little then 3days later the price and time goes up even more then so on and so forth.My EX-boss was famous for this,thats why he's my EX-boss!Also be warned about "paint jail".I'm not saying this guy or all bodyshops are out to rip you off but,there's all kinds of little scams and tricks to raise the final bill.Hope this helps....Mike
Flat Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.