Howell Throttle Body Fuel injection ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell Throttle Body Fuel injection ?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
docmo

Howell Throttle Body Fuel injection ?

I am planning on going to fuel injection. Any good or bad experiences with howell kit? How many hours should it take for a shop to do it? What's your experience after the switch?
Thanks,
F.N.G

docmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Beer man
1983 CJ7 

I wouldn't have the shop do it. It is an easy install and all the parts are included. It only took a couple of hours to install.
HEI
"I keep my top off because my feet stink"
Beer man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
CJ7_Jim
1985 CJ7 

I installed a Howell kit about a month ago.
Very simple on the I6.
I don't think it took me more then 3-4 hours total time.
You'll love it!!!
It idles great...just turn the key and it starts
85 CJ-7, 258 I6, 35's, 4" BDS suspension lift, 1" body lift to clear tires, swaybar disconnects, Currie tie rod and steering rod, Rusty's BEEFY steering gear mount, Steering brace, Superior one piece axles, Detroit locker rear and Detroit TT up front, T5 Tranny, Dana 30, AMC 20, Dana 300 TC,TR upgrade, TJ flares, and Howell TBI.
CJ7_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Your going to get people who say carbs are better and those who say fuel is better. The Howell kit is very easy to install and and really only takes a few hours to install. And once you install it the big thing you will notice is the consistency of the engine. It runs the same all the time pretty much no matter what.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did a howell on my 258 YJ last year. Also did an HEI distributor at the same time. Runs better than new and no stalling on hills.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

I installed the Howell kit on my 360 a couple of years ago. We have emission test here so when I ordered I asked for a "Hot" O2 senser. I have to say that after that, I haven't had a problem passing emisions.
My only draw back is I wish I ordered the 4 barrel instead of the 2. But it hasn't really mattered, runs great.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
docmo

Well, I am going to give it a shot. I am not the most mechanically inclined person but gonna try it. It looks doable. I hope they got some good info with the kit. Thanks and I am going to 4wd tomorrow to order it. Any other suggestions or things I will need while I am there. I am located in CA too.
thanks
docmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Duble-it
1986 CJ7 

Let us know how it goes and how you like it afterwards.

LATE FOR WORK, EARLY FOR JEEPIN'
Duble-it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
CJ7_Jim
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmo View Post
Well, I am going to give it a shot. I am not the most mechanically inclined person but gonna try it. It looks doable. I hope they got some good info with the kit. Thanks and I am going to 4wd tomorrow to order it. Any other suggestions or things I will need while I am there. I am located in CA too.
thanks
Check online for the best price.
I ended up getting mine at Howell since it was the best price out there for the CA smog version.
Also, you will need to get an air filter...it doesn't come in the kit.
The only other thing I can think of that the instructions don't cover real well is when you remove the pulse air system you'll need to plug the holes in both the exhaust pipe and the cat.
I just crimped the inlet on the cat and that works prett well.
On the exhaust pipe I cut a piece of the old pipe, hammered it over so it crimped off and put it back over the nipple on the exhaust pipe with a small exhaust clamp.
Good luck
85 CJ-7, 258 I6, 35's, 4" BDS suspension lift, 1" body lift to clear tires, swaybar disconnects, Currie tie rod and steering rod, Rusty's BEEFY steering gear mount, Steering brace, Superior one piece axles, Detroit locker rear and Detroit TT up front, T5 Tranny, Dana 30, AMC 20, Dana 300 TC,TR upgrade, TJ flares, and Howell TBI.
CJ7_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

I went the junkyard TBI route and Very happy with the way it turned out , its more labor intensive than the Howell kit, but essentially the same thing.
Here's an air filter setup you can use:
http://cgi.ebay.com/88-95-CHEVY-SUBU...3A1%7C294%3A50
Unread 04-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
BrockGrimes

I did the JunkYard TBI swap also.
http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
joes1982CJ

anyone do the howell with the 4.0L head? im in the middle of this swap any pointers would be appreciated. thanks

i have the 258 with the 1/2 head bolts, just purched a 4.0L head on ebay with the water jackets welded up and a ca emssions legal howell kit. going to install a new timing chain and possibly a crower emmsions legal cam, part number 44242. im just questioning the cam, not sure if its worth it or not? i think its about 200 bucks.
joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Joe I have done what your talking about. You will need centering washers to install your head.

The 4.2 intake will fit but it dose not have much real estate on the gasket if your lucky you might get a 1/4 inch all around. You will have to go with after market exhaust and weld in a port for the EGR. You will have to relive your headers quite a bit to get them to work.

In the end it did work but I was not happy with it so I went with an aftermarket manifold. Note that neither Clifford nor Offenhouser are CA SMOG legal. I put the Clifford on and also installed a Offenhouser remote EGR kit (Exiter Auto Supply carries them 559 592-2107)

The cam is a big deal I am running the Clifford 264 cam and it does work well with the Howell kit. What ever cam you install make sure it is an emissions cam. You need a lot of vacuum to make the Howell Kit work properly. If you install a carburetor cam you will have no low end at all and idle will be miserable.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #14
joes1982CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Joe I have done what your talking about. You will need centering washers to install your head.

The 4.2 intake will fit but it dose not have much real estate on the gasket if your lucky you might get a 1/4 inch all around. You will have to go with after market exhaust and weld in a port for the EGR. You will have to relive your headers quite a bit to get them to work.

In the end it did work but I was not happy with it so I went with an aftermarket manifold. Note that neither Clifford nor Offenhouser are CA SMOG legal. I put the Clifford on and also installed a Offenhouser remote EGR kit (Exiter Auto Supply carries them 559 592-2107)

The cam is a big deal I am running the Clifford 264 cam and it does work well with the Howell kit. What ever cam you install make sure it is an emissions cam. You need a lot of vacuum to make the Howell Kit work properly. If you install a carburetor cam you will have no low end at all and idle will be miserable.

thanks i forgot to mension i have a 1979 block which has the 1/2 inch head bolts. now you got me wondering about the cam. the crower i was looking at is emmisions cam but now wondering if it will produce the right amount of vacume for the howell?
joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
cincyjeeprs

I am sure you know this, but be sure you get the CARB legal R.O.K. version. It has a few more parts to install. The whole kit is pretty dummy-proof. If I can do it, you can do it. I will say that that "couple hours" previous posters claim might be a tad optimistic. Depends on how many trips to the store for little crap. Plan on a weekend. You'll be cruising in style by Sunday afternoon.
cincyjeeprs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.