Howell Throttle body conversion problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell Throttle body conversion problems

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
KYCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Howell Throttle body conversion problems

Just purchased another CJ7 and someone has put a howell throttle body conversion kit on it. Well, thats great, but it is idling at 2000 rpm and I can't get it to idle down. I was told the gaskets were bad and sucking air. I replaced to gaskets and it ran right for 15 minutes or so and now its back to 2000 rpm. I replaced the gaskets again and this time I sealed to heads of the allen screws in the adaptor and there was no change. Howell isn't very helpful actually their just pricks. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone give me some advice? Or should I put a carb. back on it?

Unread 07-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The idle air solenoid on your throttle body may be bad. If the idle solenoid isn't working properly or is crudded up and not closing at idle you will have this problem - it acts like partially open throttle and won't idle down. You can try removing it and cleaning it with injector cleaner first.

I had this problem and a new one from the Pick-N-Pull yunkyard for $5 solved it for me. (Or they are $50 new at the parts store).

Jeff
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

There's also a guy, ragged*, on ebay that sells about every TBI part you are looking for. He may have some if you can't locate one locally.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

I do not have a Howell TBI kit, but I did install a junkyard TBI on my 304. One of the first things I needed to do before start up was to do an IAC reset and idle speed adjustment, this sets the throttle plate on the throttle body to a specific rpm, than set the idle adjustment on the throttle body. Here is the write up I used to do the IAC reset and idle speed adjustment. Howell must have a similar set up you should try.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...737#post345737

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
KYCJ7
1980 CJ7 

I replaced the idle air sensor first thing because it was actually unplugged when I got the Jeep and no change. I tried an old school test by spraying starting fluid on the throttle body and you could watch the mist get sucked in the gaskets and the engine would then die. So I assume that is where the problem is, but I may need to try reseting the system as suggested. Thanks for all the input I'll keep you posted.
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Sounds like you found the problem, vacuum leaks can cause fast idle in a TBI engine. There is also throttle position creap, when you have a bad throttle position sensor.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
KYCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Put new gaskets on and siliconed the allen heads I know its sealed but it still doesn't want to idle down. I'm lost when it comes to fuel injection and about to loose my mind.
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

KC take a deep breath sounds like you have a vacuum issue.
Go to the Howell Engine Development web site and down load the instruction manual under tech support.

I would venture to guess you may have a vacuum line mis routed or a cracked line. It would be easy enough to see if this is the case by capping the vacuum ports one at a time and see if that makes any difference.

Also is your check engine light on?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I have a feeling the problem maybe be at your CTO? Does it idle ok when cold?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
KYCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Ok I take back what I said about the guys at Howell I spoke to Troy at Howell and he walked me through several steps until we narrowed it down to a bad computer. $75.00 later its running great. Thanks for all your help and a big thanks to Troy at Howell for helping this TBI green horn fix my new toy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.