Howell TBI won't run long Any ideas?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell TBI won't run long Any ideas?!?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 03-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
thedesertnomad
1983 CJ8 

Howell TBI won't run long Any ideas?!?

I recently installed a Howell TBI kit on an 83 Scrambler (258 I6)along with an HEI dizzy (with some help from you helpful Jeepers )

When I ran before the TBI on the old carb I could run all day long. Now, with the TBI, the engine starts right up and runs really smooth (650 rpm idle) for about 8-10 minutes then dies. If I drive it, same thing. No indication of it dying (no stutter, sputter, or rough idle) it acts like it is on a timer!!!

Howell pointed the finger at the ignition mod. which I upgraded to an HEI, same problem.

Funny thing is I am getting NO CODES on the check engine light diagnostic

You guys have helped with everything I have had an issue with so far, I hope someone can throw me a clue on this one

thedesertnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

Call Howell again. They have a good tech department. Is your Howell harness set-up for the HEI. I had to modify mine for it by adding a small circuit board they sent me at no charge. It could be multiple things, though, a bad ECU, a bad relay or something else. It should run great with that combo.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
gt4660
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar problem when i installed mine after rechecking the the wiring for the 100th time i rewired my main power and tach wire and flawless since.keep plugging away it will come around and you will behappy
Unread 03-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
monger

the thing is with the howell kit, it only knows to run when it recieves a tach signal. if that signal is interrupted, its like shutting off the truck. when it shuts down, try to start again right away with the air filter off, see if the injectors fire. if they do not, no tach signal. if they do, then you have other problems
monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
Bill USN-1

While it is possible it's an ignition problem...I would start with the fuel system.

How are your lines run?
Did you run a return all the way to the tank?
Is the gas cap vented? Could build a vacuum if not.

Did you install a see thru filter prior to the pump?
Tank pick up sock....

is the fuel feed line near the manifold to get hot?
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
thedesertnomad
1983 CJ8 

UPDATE

I spoke with the boys at Howell today and they were trying to point back at the dizzy... I explained that I upgraded to an HEI and same problem. I ran the jeep, it of course ran great for 12 minutes and died. I took off the air filter and tried to turn it over, no gas pulsing from the injectors. I tapped the tach signal wire with a test light and the Jeep lord said, "let there be light"... there was. Then they had me test the little 22 gauge wire on the ECM in position B-5, it was not so illuminated, so now they seem to think ECM issue.

Now the problem is that I bought the unit so long ago that it is OUT of the waranty time, so I may have to shop for a new "puter". $75 at an auto parts store and swap out my chips. We shall see...
thedesertnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
monger

wow that's wierd....usually its the crusty stock jeep wiring that will let you down, not the new parts! either way, I'm sure you can find a spare ecu on the cheap. The availability and inexpensive nature of the parts is why I bought this kit in the first place. good luck!
monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Guess who has a puter he'll sell ya :-) me.... CHIP ONLY, just put it in your Howell ECM box (takes 5 mins)
email me at : jimadams68@comcast.net if you want it. $30 bucks + shipping sound fair?

- JAmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedesertnomad
UPDATE

I spoke with the boys at Howell today and they were trying to point back at the dizzy... I explained that I upgraded to an HEI and same problem. I ran the jeep, it of course ran great for 12 minutes and died. I took off the air filter and tried to turn it over, no gas pulsing from the injectors. I tapped the tach signal wire with a test light and the Jeep lord said, "let there be light"... there was. Then they had me test the little 22 gauge wire on the ECM in position B-5, it was not so illuminated, so now they seem to think ECM issue.

Now the problem is that I bought the unit so long ago that it is OUT of the waranty time, so I may have to shop for a new "puter". $75 at an auto parts store and swap out my chips. We shall see...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.