Howell TBI/ CTO valve question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell TBI/ CTO valve question

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
CJ7 Vette

Howell TBI/ CTO valve question

hey everyone,

I have an 84 CJ7 w/258 in the middle of a fresh engine swap. I am installing the howell tbi this weekend and heard I need a CTO switch from a 90 wrangler to install correctly....is that right? thanks! Dave

ps-great site!!!

update: no rust, new floors, stripped, primed, filled, blocked, and repainted with PPG Concept Garnet Metallic. Hardtop freshly painted, all trim painted in black metallic with a bit of flatener mixed in. New seats, carpet, console, roll bar pad, seat belts,dash, flares, windshield, seals, tire carrier and more!
CJ7 Vette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Not exactly true. The howell kit calls for a dual-CTO valve... switch...same thing.
Late model CJ's had duals, but most of our heeps had single-CTO valves.

Here's what a double one looks like, you can buy them for $65 at a stealership.
http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/tbi/cto.jpg

I used the single CTO-valve that was on my motor....it's totally fine and everything will run well.
Unread 05-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
CaptainNick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did, but I didn't see anything about bypassing the CTO, just using a single CTO.

I guess a better question is what is the minimum amount of vacuum routing needed to run a Howell TBI? I know the distributor needs ported vacuum, and the brake booster needs manifold vacuum. Can I just bypass everything else for a few days--cap it off?
CaptainNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #4
CSP

Is this for the California legal kit?
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
CaptainNick
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It is. I've ordered the dual-CTO from RockAuto, but it's going to be a few days, so I'm looking for a solution to get everything running.
CaptainNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

IIRC, the CTO only supplies the EGR and vapor purge signal on a Howell setup. You can run without either of those.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.