Howell TBI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell TBI

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
phil77
1980 CJ7 

Howell TBI

Jeep is now at Open Air Jeeps, in Virginia Beach, getting the Howell Fuel injection installed. I hope this is worth the money.

phil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Gregg79CJ7304
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hope so too, let us know.
Gregg79CJ7304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I like my Howell setup. The only issue I've had was related to fuel flow.. My Jeep sat for a long time before I bought it. I think it got a bunch of crud in the gas tank as it seems to plug fuel filters every few months. As with any FI system, fuel pressure/supply are crucial in making the system function properly. Whenever my filter begins to restrict fuel flow, I immediately notice a lean condition under full throttle conditions.

Other than that, I love the injection.. I can reach in, turn the key and the engine will fire on the first try.. even if it's cold out and I haven't started the Jeep for a couple months.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Been running my Howell for nearly two years now and overall I'm happy with it. I've only had one problem and that is an intermittent Check Engine light when I'm really getting after it on the freeway. I suspect it might be nearly the same issue as BESRK, so I just try not to go more than about 75 tops, and really only when passing. Try to keep it at 70 or so max on the freeway otherwise.

trailhead
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I'm warming up to it. I can't say I like it any better than my MC2150, though. About the same mpg's, and sure it starts up when you crank it (sometimes it takes a sec or two), but my MC only took a little nudge to get it to fire...and it was about $1000 cheaper. I think there's a little more power there taking hills, maybe?

For me, the clear answer is that if the county emissions standards didn't force me to, I wouldn't have done it.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

My howell should get here today or tomorrow, then Im going to install it myself with...Cant wait to see the difference. I too would have not gone to the howell if it wasnt for Cali smog laws...
I am chomping at the bit to get the project started...Going to clean my have my gas tank cleaned out as well to make sure....
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
viimag
1979 CJ5 

I love my howell system. They have the best tech support. I had a problem a year after mine was installed. I called them up and they gave me a list of things to check. The first wire that I was told to check had come loose. I plugged it in and it fired right up. A week later I got a call from the tech support guy just asking if I had got it running and if I needed anything else. I think that is going above and beyond for a vendor and I will happily sing their praise for that.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
prwest
1979 CJ5 

Glad to hear some positive feedback on the system. I plan on installing this on my 304 next month.
prwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
phil77
1980 CJ7 

Just got jeep back from Open Air Jeeps. Howell Fuel Injection is awesome. Jeep runs 1000x's better. Zach did a great job on the install and now I really enjoy driving around. highly recommend this upgrade.
phil77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.