Howell Fuel Injection and Ignition questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell Fuel Injection and Ignition questions...

NEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Howell Fuel Injection and Ignition questions...

Okay,

I have searched and read a LOT of threads on this subject, and I've narrowed it down to just a few questions.....first the back story.

I'm a pretty new 83 CJ 7 owner, love the jeep, hate the freakin carb. I'm a fuel injection guy anyway, so part of it is just what I am used to....at any rate, I ran into a stalling issue yesterday, and this is my DD, so I limped it home to garage. Basically, the weber is just slap worn out. you can change the way it runs just by applying light pressure to the main pivot "rod" that moves everything inside the carb. I am not even interested in tinkering with it, and I have some $$ to play with, so I am going to fuel injection.

Here are the questions....

I decided to go with Howell, mainly because I have no interest in spending $2800 on the mopar kit....we will just cough it up to personal preference and me doing a LOT of reading on this forum about the differences.
I am seeing different packages...Some with distributors, some not.

I should say I do NOT want to keep the stock ignition, and I have no issues with ripping everything out...I will not ever want to go back to a stock setup in the future. That being said, I have decided on DUI
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/du...jeep/model/cj7
....but I don't know if it will conflict with the Howell??

I've also been checking this out:
http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...butor-1-7.html
What I THINK I am seeing with this kit is I can buy the DUI dist...and use it with this kit.

I want a reliable, SIMPLE, system...there's a crap load of info on it, but I can't find a good discussion on running fuel injection AND DUI....

Any help would be very much appreciated.....
Just don't want to waste money.

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
billusher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

i've been running Howell since 97 with no problems.Bought one fuel pump because a fitting broke and thats it.Its simple GM technology with parts available in any parts house.It contols fuel only and runs good with DUI HEI dizzy.Think you have to have the tach adapter but Howell sell it.MSD will run with it or the HEI module upgrade by John Strenk.Its a clean simple choice passes emissions.There needs to be a good thread on Howell for ignition ideas but there's not much said on it.Hope this helps
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Haven't read about the HEI module upgrade by John Strenk....I'll search for it, but what is it?

Thanks for the response...

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Yup the Howell works just fine with a hei distributor. No filter needed for it or a motorcraft original ignition. The filter is only needed with a CDI box like the summit or msd.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Here's a good ignition thread.I think John did the hei module upgrade or Jeephammer any way these are good reads.It will be in one of these posts.Its taking a gm ignition module and replacing the ignition box thats stock
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...roach-1320391/
http://www.civilianjeep.info/Ignition/Ignitiontoc.html
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
John N
1981 CJ8 

I run a Howell and DUI on my 360. It starts and runs well. Howell did say I needed to switch the filter in their harness when I put the DUI in, I was running an MSD first. The filter is built into the Howell harness, close to the ECU; I changed it out myself.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
CSP

If you go with the affordable kit, get one that uses the computer to control timing. They can either modify a distributor for you, or there's info on the web on how to do it. The stock distributor is a good candidate for this, as is the GM HEI.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Well, Here's where I am....

Talked to both companies this morning...Howell guy seemed to be pretty well versed. Pretty straightforward. If I ordered today, I will get it in a couple of days.
The AFI conversation went a little differently, not terrible, but I got the distinct impression that the guy I talked to, while nice, was somewhat confused or not prepared. Kind of caught me off guard. Also, while their kit does control spark, He couldn't give me a time frame of when it would ship...maybe friday, but it could be a couple weeks.

So, I need to look at the big picture...I can upgrade the ignition, and put the Howell kit on and should be left with a pretty good running motor...and, I won't completely lose my a$$ if I decide to do a v8 swap down the road.

Howell it is.

**btw, if I had time, I would do this on my own from a u pull it yard, etc....but I don't, and unfortunately I am having to pay for the leg work being done for me.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Stock gears for now.
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Keep us posted.Remember good grounding on the wires.Don't be disapointed if it gives you some fits on start-up but 90% of them go smoothly.Troy at Howell will give you good customer service.Remember to get the tach filter,i believe thats what you need,for the DUI-HEI dizzy if you go that route.Howell has them.
Good Luck Mike
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
james04si

1977 CJ5 

No you don't need a tach filter to use a HEI with a GM TBI that from GM used a HEI stock. The filter in question is for a MSD type CDI ignition as the tach signal coming out of them is not the same. Howell confirmed this with me 2 years ago when I bought mine.

And good luck. Mine fired right off and ran perfectly on the first actual crank and broke the cam in at 2500rpm for the first 30 mins with no problems. I did turn the key on and off several times to prime the new fuel line I put in at the same time.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
CSP

Correct, there's no need for a tach filter for DUI or any other version of GM HEI with Howell.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

So tach filter is for MSD or systems like MSD

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.