Howell Fuel Injection and assorted problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howell Fuel Injection and assorted problems

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
1963hotrod
1976 CJ5 

Howell Fuel Injection and assorted problems

I have a Calif 1976 cj5 with the 258 six. It has a 1v carb. I see the howell is for the 2v carb. I guess I would have to change the intake?
I bought the jeep and all the vac line were plugged off and the smog pump did not have a the belt on it. The thing ran rough and fouled the plugs after a short time. I replaced the smog pump belt only to find the pump was siezed. Replaced the pump and hooked it up as well as the vacume lines and emmissions equipment. It started but ran bad and sounded out of time even though I did not change the timing. backfired and blew the little round thing in half that comes off by the egr . cpo? I discovered it was epoxyed together before .
So now I an replacing the timing set as it seems to have a lot of play. The gasket was leaking bad anyway. I wish I had bought a non smog jeep but only piad $1300.00 for it and it is in very original condition. Any advice would be great to this jeep newbie. Thanks

1963hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

Im in the same boat with my 77 I recently bought..Now there are alot of places to look for a 2b intake manifold, but I would start with http://www.jwjeep.com/ for a used one, they are good people. Remember that you need to either match it with your exhaust manifold by year, (70s, or 80s) or get a matching set of intake and exhaust and do some minor exhaust work.
I had to go through this to deal with the howell, Im just not going to mess with the smog gear, I tracked down some of it, and still missing alot, not mentioning that it gets exspensive fast, all to run like crap with all that crud on it.
I decided that I wanted to upgrade anyway, so I got the howell, and a new HEI, and gonna get wrenching this weekend.

Ill let you know how it goes. Let me know if you have any parts you are looking for smog wise, I ended up with some parts that it doesnt look like Im gonna use.

Good luck.
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
1963hotrod
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the reply. Let me know how it goes, I would be very intrested in the install.
1963hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

im not sure how California is with emissions on old vehicles. do you have antique plates and whatnot? best thing i can suggest would be to call howell, they are pretty helpful. you could also double check that all the vac lines are set up right and that nothing is clogged or leaking.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Antique plates don't mean crap in CA unless your vehicle is pre 1976 "smog exempt"
Howell is the best way to go, Even on the super basic smog components of the 76.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.