Howdy...some newbie questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Howdy...some newbie questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-18-2002, 04:20 PM   #1
s i l v e r i

Howdy...some newbie questions

Well I'm new to the whole jeep thing so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I've got a couple of questions you might be able to help me with...

1.If you have a 1970 CJ-5 and your replacing the body tub is it possible to use a later Cj-5 year tub (a 75 and later because it seems easier to find a hard top for them)

2. I've looked at quite a few tubs the Kevlar ones interest me but everthing except steel and aluminum says they can't be used with a hard top...Why is that? Or can you?

s i l v e r i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2002, 07:41 PM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

I don't have much experience with the CJ5s but i would only guess that you can use any year body to any other year frame with minimal problems. get yourself a 4 wheel drive hardware or quadratec catalog and check out the body sections,it should give you the info to answer your question.
As for mounting the top on a kevlar body, I have done so on a CJ7, it's a pain in the %#@. but it can be done.
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2002, 11:18 PM   #3
Jacob

you could just get the later model windshield frame and put it on the early model body tub and then you could fit a later model hardtop
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2002, 09:02 AM   #4
s i l v e r i

Hey guys thanks for the info...it's appreciated
s i l v e r i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2002, 11:06 PM   #5
jrejle

"you could just get the later model windshield frame and put it on the early model body tub and then you could fit a later model hardtop"

No Kidding? I was under the impression that the doors and the windshield where different starting in 1976. How hard is it to install a 76&up windshield on a pre-76 CJ5?

Jim
1974 CJ5
jrejle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2002, 02:19 AM   #6
Jacob

line it up and bolt it on
the guy i talked to at AJs hardtop place said that is all you have to do
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2002, 03:59 PM   #7
bmcgowan
1976 CJ5 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by s i l v e r i:
<strong>Well I'm new to the whole jeep thing so forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I've got a couple of questions you might be able to help me with...

1.If you have a 1970 CJ-5 and your replacing the body tub is it possible to use a later Cj-5 year tub (a 75 and later because it seems easier to find a hard top for them)

2. I've looked at quite a few tubs the Kevlar ones interest me but everthing except steel and aluminum says they can't be used with a hard top...Why is that? Or can you?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
bmcgowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2002, 03:49 AM   #8
rick_the_jeepman

Well I am glad to hear about the late model windshield frame. I have a 75 CJ5 and it was on its side and bent the original frame & broke the glass and I was wanting to go with the late model style. I will let you all know how it goes.
rick_the_jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.