how to tell what type of lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > how to tell what type of lift?

Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-05-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

how to tell what type of lift?

Might sound like a strange question, but how do you know what type of lift has been added?

I have a 76 CJ-5 I got a couple of months ago. I am down to the frame and stripping it, and then the rebuild, however, I am at the point where I was going to order up a new lift kit, probably a 4" sky jacker or some other suspension lift, but I am looking at the shackles and can't tell if the jeep had been lifted with a shackle type of lift or if it has been done by another suspension type.

It currently has 33" 12.5 15's on it and the jeep cleared them without an issue, no body lift either.

If there is an easy way to tell, I would love to know how.

I plan on running the same size tires, possibly 35's, just want to know what I have on there and what to do going forwards.

Thanks,
cb

certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
Jami
1973 CJ6 

The only way that I know of is to look at the top of the leaf springs(if it is a suspension lift)an there will be in fairly large letters and numbers the manufacturers part number. These will also be in a certain color, which usually has something to do with the comp.(Rancho red, superlift yellow, etc). I guess the only way to be sure is check around with that part number.
If it is not a suspension lift and you have 33's on, I would guess that the shackles would be pretty long. Anyway I hope this in someway helps.
Unread 10-08-2002, 05:34 AM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

thanks for the info. The shackles seem to be more or less stock, possibly 1/2 to 1 inch, so I don't htink that is it. The shocks, although covered in rust were at one point yellow.

As for the leaf springs, I haven't cleaned em up yet, but I don't see any part numbers.

What I was really looking for was arch, etc. to determine the height of the suspension lift. Not sure if this is possible due to sagging over time but figured Iwould see if anyone knew.

cb
Unread 10-08-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
Jami
1973 CJ6 

If you want, I have a four inch lift and I can measure from tne mid point of the spring straight up to the frame and give you the measurement. It will vary somewhat but it might put you in the ballpark. Just let me know.
Unread 10-08-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If you could do that, it would rock.
That would give me a ball park as to if I have a 4 inch on there.
There was no body lift and the 33's cleared without a problem.
Didn't do any serious articulation for the 10 minutes I had it together before I stripped it, but it didn't appear that it would rub.

thanks in advance for the measure job.

Would it be too much to ask to see if the front and back are similar? Also, number of leaves that you have would be great.

I have the 304 in it, so I was just curious about weight in front, etc. with the lift you have.

Thanks,
cb
Unread 10-08-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Yeh I can do the front and the back. I have the 304 also. I think that I only have 4 leafs in the pack. I will let you know tommorrow if you can wait.
Unread 10-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Sounds good to me, thanks again. I will look for it tommorrow.
Unread 10-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #8
Jami
1973 CJ6 

I measured from the top of the axletube to the bottom of the frame(this was the eaisest way to measure). The front is about 8 inches and the rear is about 10. I have stock shackles and the packs have 4 leafs each. Let me know if I can do anything else. HTH
Unread 10-09-2002, 12:49 PM   #9
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

actually, how much room do you have running the 31"'s?
It would seem that you have room to spare.

Thanks for the measurements, I will check it out tonight when I get home.

cb
Unread 10-09-2002, 02:27 PM   #10
Jami
1973 CJ6 

I have the 31's on my TJ, I am currently running 32's on the CJ and with the 4inches and narrowtrack I think it looks kind of dumb b/c there is so much room to spare. I might step it up to 33's. Also let me know what you came up with.
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #11
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

OK, now I am really confused here.
Appears to be stock shackles.
I have measured (without the body) and came up with the following

8" in the rear and 9" in the front, yes I know, it is *** backwards, but that is what it measured out as.

Also, the packs appear to have like 7 leaves which also does make sense. If the doubled up ones count as one, the there are 3 doubled up and one on the bottom singular.

Any thoughts. I would imagine it is not stock suspension, but possibly could have been a 3" or a 4" that has sagged. But it appears to have sagged bad in the rear.

cb
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:59 PM   #12
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Sounds to me like it could either be an add a leaf possibly. Maybe 2 leaves were added to the pack due to the 3 that are the same length. I believe that there are stock packs with 5 and 7 leaves. The sagging could possibly be due to towing. I am not quite sure. Just some thoughts to think about.
Unread 10-09-2002, 07:40 PM   #13
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

well I think I am safe with a 4" one. I will do that and I am pretty sure with new stock length shackles, I will be fine to run the 33"s

We will see.

Thanks again for all the help.

This weekend I hope to finish up the rear cross member and clean up the frame. Then a little POR-15 and new lines and gas tank and ready to figure on the body.

Lots of work, but lots of fun.

cb
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:00 AM   #14
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

CB4158 - your shackles should measure 3" from center to center of the shackle bolts if they are stock length. The number of springs in the spring pack vary from manufacturer to manufacturer so you can't really tell by counting. You probably won't be able to determine the make of the springs unless someone familiar with them helps you by looking at them.

The measurements taken by you and Jami are simular and close to being the same. Since Jami knows he has a 4" lift, I'd assume you do too. It sounds like yours may either be sagging a little in the rear, or you have more weight in the rear than Jami. You have a hard top? Heavy tool box or something?
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:32 AM   #15
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

nah, that's the problem. Right now it is a rolling chasis with the engine and tranny still in, so the body is off, so that makes it minus a few hundred pounds.

I would assume it is a 4" lift as well. I am going to purchase a new 4" lift, I just wanted to make sure it would match the height approximately to what I have now.

As for the stock shackles, I will check the measurements you gave.

Thanks,
cb

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.