How to start... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to start...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
MoC
1986 CJ7 

How to start...

I should probably know how to do this but I dont... How can I start a engine without the wiring harness and steering column installed. It is in the frame still. Want to see if it runs before I pull it out.

.jpg  
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Ground cable to the block, power to the positive side of the coil, ground to the negative side of the coil. If you still have a solinode or can wire a solinode (I would for safety) then cross the start terminal to spin the engine for start up. Prime the carb by filling the bowl if needed. If you don't have a solinode you can touch the positive cable directly to the start momentarily but be careful. AND of course have it where you can snatch the wire of the coil quickly if needed (a remote starter button works well for this, only runs if you hold the button). I don't think I forgot anything.
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
molawnboy
1983 CJ7 

What he said X2
Just beware, despite popular opinion, de-chroming your Jeep will not make it climb Everest, ford the Pacific, out run John Force, crawl up the side of the Grand Canyon, tow D-11 dozers out of the mud or even start every time for that matter. You need hi-steer for all that...
molawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Kind of forgot the ignition... Didn't you?
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Moc, points or electronic ignition.
A new project?
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Kind of forgot the ignition... Didn't you?
Hammer, can I just connect the dizzy and ignition module and then power the module with 12V?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Moc, points or electronic ignition.
A new project?
Bill
Bill I guess you could say this is a new project of sorts. I found a nicely priced 5 early this week online. Talked to the wifey about it and got permission to buy it as long as she could go spend the same amount of money I was spending on something for herself. My initial intention was that it would make a good future project for my son and daughter so I negotiated a price and set up a meet. After doing so I started having some second thoughts about taking on another project when my current one has a long way to go still. Decided it was still worth buying and if I did not rehab it then I could part it out. Over the last month I have been toying with the idea of parting a jeep out as a test run to see if there was any money to be made doing it (both short/quick term and long/slow term) to fund my jeep problem.

Picked up the jeep and brought it home. After going though it yesterday I decided that it just was not a really good choice as a rehab future project for the kids.

So here I am.. Going to get it processed and cataloged over the next week. I have a friend with a 4 bay storage unit that I can use some space in for free to store big parts like frame, tub, axles, etc. Planning on having some parts for sale by next weekend.

After a month I am going to evaluate the cash & part flow and decide if I want to get in to parting or sell what I have and call it quits. I can never make as much parting as my company makes so this is just a hobby for jeep money. Wife said I can keep whatever I make so doing it and put it towards the jeep.

The engine was said to run. Was asking about starting it so if it did was going to sell it whole and if not going to pull the sell-able parts and scrap the rest.

This is what I got.. 1978 CJ5 258/t150/d20

Good points:
-Its all there
-Has hard top and doors. Going to clean and paint them before I sell. They are in decent shape.
-Has factory narrow trac's with factory 4.10's
-Tub has a clear title. The rear paz corner has been cut out but it came with a new patch panel. Other that the corner the tub is very solid. Going to weld the corner in, clean it up a little before I sell it.
-Windshield and one fender are bad but the rest of the body is in good shape.

So thats my story.

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

hot wire to coil, hot wire to starter, that all you need.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

Where are you located? Always looking for more places for parts for my 5.
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Smokey007

Is the hardtop glass or steel?
Smokey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalhoon84 View Post
Where are you located? Always looking for more places for parts for my 5.
I am in Shreveport. Will ship stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey007 View Post
Is the hardtop glass or steel?
Hard top is a glass Classic top.

Thinking about paying to be a vendor for a month or so and posting and maintaining a list of everything I have for sale.

Will have some stuff for sale starting next week.

Thanks for the help on the engine guys. Going to try to fire it over next weekend.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.