How to remove e-brake??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to remove e-brake???

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
eddy2324
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How to remove e-brake???

Well I guess the first question is do I have to remove the emergency brake to get the body off?

If so, how in the heck do I do it?

eddy2324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Yes, you do. I just did it with my CJ. If you look underneath, you'll see where the e-brake cable is connected to the e-brake assembly. It was easier for me to take the whole e-brake assembly off and then disconnect the cable.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
eddy2324
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok so i took the assemble off but not sure how to get the cable off. any help?
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

I unhooked the cable underneath where it splits and then used vice grips to get enough slack to pull the cable out of the groove of the pedal assembly.
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

If it's the style I am thinking of, you can fully depress the pedal (tell it sad stories) then clamp the cable with vise grips, release the pedal and it will move back free of the cable. This will allow enough slack to work it out of the hook, then release the vise grips and slide the cable out the back. The challenge is putting it back in, I have been successful with sliding it in the back of the pedal assembly, take one pair of vise grips and clamp it at the end of the cable pull it as far as you can and then use another pair of vise grips to clamp it at the base to keep it from moving back, remove the first pair of vise grips and return it to the hook in the pedal.

If it is a different style, I just wasted your time. Post a picture if you can.
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346
If it's the style I am thinking of, you can fully depress the pedal (tell it sad stories) then clamp the cable with vise grips, release the pedal and it will move back free of the cable. This will allow enough slack to work it out of the hook, then release the vise grips and slide the cable out the back. The challenge is putting it back in, I have been successful with sliding it in the back of the pedal assembly, take one pair of vise grips and clamp it at the end of the cable pull it as far as you can and then use another pair of vise grips to clamp it at the base to keep it from moving back, remove the first pair of vise grips and return it to the hook in the pedal.

If it is a different style, I just wasted your time. Post a picture if you can.
Agreed!
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
eddy2324
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i will try that, if i can't get it i will post a pic. thanks for the help!
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
bconrad5150
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just backed the nuts all the way off the cable under the body. The cable came out through the frame and is still attached to my body.
bconrad5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.