How to - Nutter Bypass - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to - Nutter Bypass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #46
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfite View Post
Hey with the stepper motor off, how do you adjust the pins? I'm a noob! Thanks.
Heh...I was just gonna ask the same question, .
You just grab the pins and pull or push. Mine is very stiff. I have found three positions. In, middle, out.

Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #47
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Actually, there are no positions. Upon working mine more it is apparent that it can be in any position. The setting Mike just suggested seems to be a mid setting.
Unread 01-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #48
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycheesehead View Post
Step 2: If you chose to adjust the stepper pins using the idle mixture screws method, once stepper pins are at the level you choose, turn ignition off and unplug the electrical box from the back of the stepper motor (remains unplugged forevermore).
It would seem that you can plug the stepper motor plug back in so it looks, umm, won't burn the plug. Thoughts ?
Unread 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #49
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
It would seem that you can plug the stepper motor plug back in so it looks, umm, won't burn the plug. Thoughts ?
The computer can still kick it so if you unplug the computer itself, then Yes, that's OK.

The nutter just takes the computer out of the ignition loop.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #50
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
Actually, there are no positions. Upon working mine more it is apparent that it can be in any position. The setting Mike just suggested seems to be a mid setting.
I find that mid setting gives me and the folks I have helped a nice 21 mpg 'and' the emissions sniffer likes it there also. The fact the sniffer likes it and it gives a sweet top end response implies it sets the mix right. My plugs burn normal.

That mid setting has the shoulder of the pins sticking about 1/8" from the back wall when it is back together.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #51
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

so I read this entire thread and cant wait to get started on this. Seems easy and effective. After the Nutter is done, exactly what wiring can be removed from the CJ...everything connected to the ECM and including the ECM itself??

Last edited by twoleos617; 02-18-2009 at 12:18 PM..
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #52
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

...also, does doing the Nutter mean installing a manual choke if the ECM is removed?
Unread 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #53
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
...also, does doing the Nutter mean installing a manual choke if the ECM is removed?
No the choke is not affected. Here is a good site to browse, see his index and a good link on what the computer controls: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/control.htm
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #54
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
No the choke is not affected. Here is a good site to browse, see his index and a good link on what the computer controls: http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/control.htm
Thanks Mike...I had that page bookmarked and never thought to check it first! DUH! But, after reading the lists on that page it seems like theres still quite a few parts that need to be monitored by the ECM. Not that I doubt all the hard work and experience of others, but shouldnt these items listed still need monitoring?? If not, than hey, im ready to start untangeling and yanking some wires! Any clarification on this is appreciated; the more detailed the better! I'll continue my research as well.
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #55
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Twoleos,
May I make the suggestion to not cut any wires when you start removing them? I found that you can simply unplug them and the whole emissions harnes will come out. You will need to add one wire for the choke. I believe this is what you are referring to when you asked if the choke is affected.
You can unplug things one at a time, and test drive, and if you like it then you can remove the harness intact, and if you ever sell the Jeep (not that you ever would), the next guy can hook back up if needed.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #56
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Twoleos,
May I make the suggestion to not cut any wires when you start removing them? I found that you can simply unplug them and the whole emissions harnes will come out. You will need to add one wire for the choke. I believe this is what you are referring to when you asked if the choke is affected.
You can unplug things one at a time, and test drive, and if you like it then you can remove the harness intact, and if you ever sell the Jeep (not that you ever would), the next guy can hook back up if needed.
In theory, yes, BioTex is correct. Everything SHOULD work this way and it will salvage your harness if the next owner three lifetimes away wants it.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #57
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
In theory, yes, BioTex is correct. Everything SHOULD work this way and it will salvage your harness if the next owner three lifetimes away wants it.
Thx fellas. thats answers my question perfectly.
three lifetimes indeed!!
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #58
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I don't think luckycheesehead will mind I am going to add a quickie on the vacuum lines after the Nutter for the Carter BBD here.

Here is what makes a decent runner that will pass emissions in Canada:

The PCV system including the canister and CTO valve and the EGR maybe as well as a ported line to the distributor. I also want the air cleaner lines working to prevent carb icing, emissions wants it for faster warm up.

On the Stock Carter BBD or Carter-Weber BBD like mine, the drivers side back corner nipple goes to the air filter TAC (hot air flaps).

The big driver's side port on the bottom goes to the power brakes.

The center back big one goes to the PCV with a T fitting for the canister purge. If you have a solenoid on this line, toss it as a recall, only leave the T for the canister purge.

Back passenger side to choke pull off.

The valve cover side center goes to the distributor. It 'can' T for the CTO feed 'or'..

The front drivers side corner one goes to the CTO valve. From the CTO, a line goes to the canister purge signal 'and/or' one can be fed off this purge line to the air filter TVS and from there to the EGR.

Some folks feed the CTO to the TVS and then split off the line coming from this to make the canister and EGR lines.

Everything else is pretty much trash.
Unread 03-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #59
-jeep-jeep-
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I don't think luckycheesehead will mind I am going to add a quickie on the vacuum lines after the Nutter for the Carter BBD here.

Here is what makes a decent runner that will pass emissions in Canada:

The PCV system including the canister and CTO valve and the EGR maybe as well as a ported line to the distributor. I also want the air cleaner lines working to prevent carb icing, emissions wants it for faster warm up.

On the Stock Carter BBD or Carter-Weber BBD like mine, the drivers side back corner nipple goes to the air filter TAC (hot air flaps).

The big driver's side port on the bottom goes to the power brakes.

The center back big one goes to the PCV with a T fitting for the canister purge. If you have a solenoid on this line, toss it as a recall, only leave the T for the canister purge.

Back passenger side to choke pull off.

The valve cover side center goes to the distributor. It 'can' T for the CTO feed 'or'..

The front drivers side corner one goes to the CTO valve. From the CTO, a line goes to the canister purge signal 'and/or' one can be fed off this purge line to the air filter TVS and from there to the EGR.

Some folks feed the CTO to the TVS and then split off the line coming from this to make the canister and EGR lines.

Everything else is pretty much trash.
is there a diagram for those, my new 7 dosnt have any vacum lines on it
Jeep # 4 - 1999 wj stock and still pretty
-jeep-jeep- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #60
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Mike, maybe a 360* pic w/the air cleaner on/off so some can get a visual of the lines and how they are hooked up. I'm sure this will help clear up a lot of questions in this area.

Jim

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.