How to - Nutter Bypass - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to - Nutter Bypass

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #376
dn101009
1986 CJ7 

Ok, since I am taking the whole harness out. The black, orange, and purple on the distributor can be spliced to the black, orange and Purple on the ICM. The green from the ICM needs to be spliced into the trigger wire at the coil?
Why do the wires need to be twisted together?

Thanks sorry for the newbie questions. Been several years since I have really messed with the cj's.

dn101009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #377
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn101009 View Post
Ok, since I am taking the whole harness out. The black, orange, and purple on the distributor can be spliced to the black, orange and Purple on the ICM. The green from the ICM needs to be spliced into the trigger wire at the coil?
Why do the wires need to be twisted together?

Thanks sorry for the newbie questions. Been several years since I have really messed with the cj's.
The green is the coil negative wire. This controls when the coil fires.

You twist the orange and purple wires together so radio frequency (RF) emissions don't interfere with the pulses in the wires. Radios, alternators, spark plugs, cell telephones, all these things can send out radio waves that could interfere with a clean ignition signal and cause a miss in the engine.

I used insulated type SOW cable (commonly called 'cab tire' cable, covers anything) on a lot of them for this reason. The SOW wire has twisted wires inside with a paper and silk thread capacitor wrapped with them. All for RF insulation. Probably overkill, but I had the wire on hand from installing mobile data computers in delivery vehicles that were real touchy about RF.

Stock, AMC just twisted them, no issues.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #378
Baconj81
1983 CJ5 

Ok so let me get this straight. I have the Weber carb. So all I have to do is splice orange and purple wires from distributor to ICM and reset timing to 8* btdc? Do I have to do anything with vacuum hoses or anything else?
Baconj81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #379
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconj81 View Post
Ok so let me get this straight. I have the Weber carb. So all I have to do is splice orange and purple wires from distributor to ICM and reset timing to 8* btdc? Do I have to do anything with vacuum hoses or anything else?
Not unless you want to. None of the emissions things will work except the gas tank vent ( canister), PCV and EGR but they can be left in place.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #380
dn101009
1986 CJ7 

Hey guys. I am finally finishing up my bypass. What is the base timing for a 150 amc and are the notches 1 or 2 degrees.
dn101009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #381
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn101009 View Post
Hey guys. I am finally finishing up my bypass. What is the base timing for a 150 amc and are the notches 1 or 2 degrees.
Notches are 2° starting with +2 on the far right. Don't know the base timing for a 150, sorry.
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #382
Tuckerpap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What happened to my nutter

I have tried the nutter twice and still haven't got it right. When it comes time to set the timing I start the engine and it will only run for 3 manye 4 seconds then it just dies. No way I can keep it running long enough to time it. What am I doing wrong?
Tuckerpap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #383
Tuckerpap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have tried it twice with no luck
Tuckerpap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #384
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

It should run at the old timing setting. Was it running well before you started this? Did it sit long enough for the gas filter to have dried out and plugged up? ( modern fuel gums up filters and seizes float needles if it evaporates away.)

Are you getting fuel to the carb?

Be aware that the hold down bolt for the distributor is the ignition ground path so if it is too loose or rusty you can have issues. Lots of folks ground that black wire coming from the distributor to be sure of a good ground.
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #385
sickcj978

Was it cold when u went to start it cause when u do the nutter u loose your electric choke u need to try to keep it running till it's warm check make sure the choke is closing and opening
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #386
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcj978 View Post
Was it cold when u went to start it cause when u do the nutter u loose your electric choke u need to try to keep it running till it's warm check make sure the choke is closing and opening
You really should read the how to nutter bypass. You most certainly do Not lose your choke. All the nutter is is hooking the ICM direct to the distributor like a 1980 engine.
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #387
sickcj978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain
You really should read the how to nutter bypass. You most certainly do Not lose your choke. All the nutter is is hooking the ICM direct to the distributor like a 1980 engine.
I did read it but the po did the nutter to my cj there are a lot of things missing I just assumed it was part of it I did a manual choke any way there was a lot of the harness was just sitting on my intake not connected I did all manual Gages too oh and I did have trouble cause the po did not time it after doing the nutter so when I checked the timing and timed it I had to get it warm to keep it running
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #388
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcj978 View Post
I did read it but the po did the nutter to my cj there are a lot of things missing I just assumed it was part of it I did a manual choke any way there was a lot of the harness was just sitting on my intake not connected I did all manual Gages too oh and I did have trouble cause the po did not time it after doing the nutter so when I checked the timing and timed it I had to get it warm to keep it running
Sounds more like a hacked job then a nuttered job. Done right they still pass the emissions sniffer and 'can' pass a visual if really needed. Everything a 1980 CJ had still works properly. Just the extra emissions and timing control ECU is bypassed.
Unread 10-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #389
GACOACH
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stepper Motor & Metering pins

Went to do the "nutter" to my 1990 Wrangler 4.2. Will not idle, only runs when above 1500rpm, has a mis or stutter at most any rpm but is much worse at low rpm. Anyway, I decided to remove the stepper motor to see what these metering pins look like. I removed it and no pins. So i get a mirror and light(you cannot see it unless you were a contortionist weighing 75 pounds) to see what was inside where I had just removed the stepper motor.There are three holes aligned vertically. One hole was blocked or what i thought was the back of the "pin". I took a small allen wrench and while looking down the throat of the carb, pushed the pin in from the back. What came into the carb was not a metering pin like in the pictures. What I got was a piece of metal, kinda like the head of a large straight pin, round, and like the body that was once connected broke off.WTF to do now?

John in Chatsworth, GA
GACOACH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #390
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GACOACH View Post
Went to do the "nutter" to my 1990 Wrangler 4.2. Will not idle, only runs when above 1500rpm, has a mis or stutter at most any rpm but is much worse at low rpm. Anyway, I decided to remove the stepper motor to see what these metering pins look like. I removed it and no pins. So i get a mirror and light(you cannot see it unless you were a contortionist weighing 75 pounds) to see what was inside where I had just removed the stepper motor.There are three holes aligned vertically. One hole was blocked or what i thought was the back of the "pin". I took a small allen wrench and while looking down the throat of the carb, pushed the pin in from the back. What came into the carb was not a metering pin like in the pictures. What I got was a piece of metal, kinda like the head of a large straight pin, round, and like the body that was once connected broke off.WTF to do now?

John in Chatsworth, GA
It was running Ok before you tried the nutter???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.