How to - Nutter Bypass - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to - Nutter Bypass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #346
sickcj978

so i went to do the nutter and come to find out the PO did it all ready so i started looking at my harness and turned out it was hacked to death and the only connectors left were two temp sensors. i pulled the harness back and started removing the loom and found out some dumb *** spliced all kinds of **** and used duct tape to splice,dumb ***. Well turns out that my ecm was disconnected too so i pulled it all then checked my timing and it was at 4 degrees so i bumped it up to 8 and it runs awesome thanks so much for all the help this site rocks love all the great help and awesome rigs.

050.jpg  
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #347
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That was a factory splice and factory duck tape.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #348
sickcj978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
That was a factory splice and factory duck tape.
Either way it was all disconnected and a lot was melted and I hope that it wasn't factory cause that's not rite there were wire connectors cut and bent around wire to make splices. I took it to work today and its running so much better after. Getting the timing right I just hope I didn't do any damage to the motor
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #349
Fletchlives85CJ
1985 CJ7 

Newb here! I am Nuttering all over my new to me 85 CJ7, I do not see a purple wire at the ingnition module on my Jeep nor do I see one in my schematics. I do however see a light blue unused wire there. Is this the one I pair up with the orange and run to the disturbulator? BTW I have a good manual, and set of wiring schematics for 1984 4, and 6 cyl if anyone needs, I can send copies, or try to post them here...I am highly challenged when it comes to 'Putering...My rig is an 85 CJ 4.2l mostly stock...
Fletchlives85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #350
83cjnash
1983 CJ7 

Ok so let me get this straight. Does the nutter bypass eliminate all the wiring that has to do with the ECG? Thanks
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #351
1949er

How to - Nutter Bypass

Just my .02 , after a heart valve transplamt on the carter BBD - 20% improvement - I decided to remove it's Pacemaker - the MCU - at the local
U - Pull It I secured a wire harness segment from a Fairmont with the correct plugs for the Dist. , coil & Ignition Module and extended them to 62" plug to plug with the wire to the coil a few inches longer then it was a plug in and done - MCU is bypassed - another Big Improvement . afterwards I removed the computer harness with most of the vac. switches and found the valve cover , only extra wire I added was from the flat 6 conductor weather-pac connector to the choke coil - 2 of them are 12v. keyed ign. , the manifold heater is on the eng. harness and still functions , when I spliced the wires I soldered them and covered with 2 layers os shrink tube & split loom cover , don't forget the dielectric grease on the plugs , my 86 cj7 purrs now .
1949er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #352
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hope your duraspark lasts longer than Grammys did.

I did a half nutter. I let the mcu still operate the carb. I took control of the spark.
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #353
1949er

By putting it back to the way it was supposed to be wired ? , 2 of the 4 are spliced to bypass the MCU the other 2 just travel the harness , I've never had trouble with the Dura Spark system unless some FBN part has been replaced by a Parts Changer - A Mechanic figgures out what's wrong and doesn't just throw parts in till it runs .
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #354
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949er
By putting it back to the way it was supposed to be wired ? , 2 of the 4 are spliced to bypass the MCU the other 2 just travel the harness , I've never had trouble with the Dura Spark system unless some FBN part has been replaced by a Parts Changer - A Mechanic figgures out what's wrong and doesn't just throw parts in till it runs .
Trust me I'm a mechanic. I don't throw parts.

Everything I do had to be bullet proof. If it isn't I would get a call from Grammy telling me her jeep won't or wouldn't start. Any mod I wanted to do had to work flawlessly by Monday morning.

I paralleled the orange and purple wires coming from the distributor and ran them to my MSD. I could probably remove the two vacuum switches (load sensing for timing) and two of the three vacuum solenoids the upstream and down stream air injection pumps) on the valve cover. But I didn't.

In my opinion the BBD and the MCU does a good job of controlling the fuel. The spark side to me had a lot to be desired.

I would drive it to California now, I trust it so much. In the beginning (I met my wife in 1998 and assumed the duties of CJ maintenance) not so much.
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #355
1949er

Well as a Retired Mechanic after working in pretty much all fields of repair for 45 yrs. when you take a controled unit and remove just one of many sensors or controling factors it can and will have an effect on the entire system , the computer controled BBD was a futile attempt to control smog even tho AMC had MPI on the 4.0 , the combustion chamber of the 258 is the main culprit as it is not efficent , the 4.0 is better and in conjunction with the MPI it does well , It seems to me if you take a carb and put a motor on it that is controled by several different components with ware factors as well as age and climate change it spells trouble , I'm building a non-stepper carter ( not much better ) for this motor and if it doesn't work it will get a Rochester 2gc.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #356
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's been like this for long enough to know there are no issues with it.

When I had the stepper centered and unplugged the AF was ok below 40mph and lean above. Raising the needles to fatten up the AF above 40mph made it too rich for my liking below 40mph. So I hooked the stepper back up and woke up the MCU.

A few years later when I rebushed the baseplate I put my Fluke DVM on average and drove it around 8 miles and the times I recorded the averaging it averaged .49 to .51. Which is as good as any FI would do. I have at least 1 or two YouTube videos to prove it.

The needles out of a non-stepper probably would have had a better profile and solved my problem. However, I used the MCU and liked my results.
Unread 12-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #357
ElSid

New to me 84 CJ. I am in an EMISSIONS zone. Working on finding out if the pulse air works and was wondering if "Nuttering" would affect anything. This is a CA Jeep, though I live in Las Vegas. They check to make sure components are there (CAT, PUMP (should be fun to explain the pulse air), and fuel restrictor) and then tail the emissions. I am getting a new exhaust/cat since I do not trust a rusty 30 yr old unit. I was planing on doing the Nutter and Rush upgrades. Any feedback would be great. I prefer to eliminate the computer and ... in the future, maybe do a junkyard TBI.

Last edited by ElSid; 12-20-2013 at 03:23 PM..
ElSid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #358
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Did it ever have to pass emissions before you bought it?
Unread 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #359
ElSid

Yes. It was a CA car. It was on non-ops to avoid fees when I bought it. Now titled in NV, looking to register it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ElSid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #360
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
New to me 84 CJ. I am in an EMISSIONS zone. Any feedback would be great.
How about registering as a "Classic Vehicle" and being exempt from emissions testing?

Quote:
Vehicles registered with Classic Vehicle, Classic Rod or Old Timer license plates and driven 5,000 miles or less per year are exempt from emissions testing.

http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm#Classic
Quote:
NRS 482.3816
A Nevada resident who owns a passenger car or light commercial vehicle (having a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less), manufactured at least 25 years prior to the date of application, may apply for Classic Vehicle license plates

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/sp34.pdf
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.