How to - Nutter Bypass - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to - Nutter Bypass

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #196
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanse View Post
I have a 86 cj7 that will not start, I have replaced the ignition switch. Starter, starter solenoid, ignition module new battery cables. Does the computer have anything to do with ignition or does it just control the carburetor? If it does control the ignition in anyway then I will try the nutter bypass
Does your engine turn over?

Meanwhile, yes the computer controls the spark signal to the coil.

Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #197
Chanse
1986 CJ7 

No the engine does not turn over. I can cross the terminals on the starter solenoid and It will turn over and run but sometimes the starter will stay engaged when i do this. But nothing when I try to crank it with the key
Chanse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #198
OPlo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Ditch the 4" vacuum line, it no longer functions and use that T for the distributor.

Some canisters are plumbed direct off this ported nipple on the valve cover side of the carb also, so if yours goes that way, leave it. other types of canisters can benefit from using the emissions port on the bottom front corner, most have that nipple capped.
thanks much - i did as you said with the 4" vac. left the other one in place. there is so much garbage running on the front side of the carb that i will have to push out of the way to get to the idle mix screws.

did the timing last night as well. worked out great. 1st time i'd ever done that. wasn't sure what the "notch" would look like. when i first hit the gun i didn't see it at all. it was buried below -2. not even visible. all good now.

on other odd thing. when i went to remove the reservoirs to get at the ignition module, the 1st bolt broke off in the fender well. so instead of going any further with that i just did the wiring to the ignition module from underneath. thankfully with the 33"s and a 3" BL (not ideal, i know) i can get to stuff without a lift.

still a bit confused on the carb adjustments. need to read up on that. looks like there is a metal shield on the front side of the carb i have to take off to get to the screws. true? it seems to be idling nice and steady at about 700 when warm. do i even need to mess with the carb? one of my wife's main complaints about he jeep is the smell. i have a magnaflow with no cat. would adjusting the idle mix help at all with that?
OPlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #199
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I live in Beebe, AR. How can I contact you luckycheesehead??
Joe203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #200
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanse View Post
No the engine does not turn over. I can cross the terminals on the starter solenoid and It will turn over and run but sometimes the starter will stay engaged when i do this. But nothing when I try to crank it with the key
You have solenoid side post connections or keyswitch issues.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #201
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe203 View Post
I live in Beebe, AR. How can I contact you luckycheesehead??
Haven`t heard him around lately, but then I haven`t been around much either.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #202
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does it make a difference if the stepper motor is unplugged or not? The Nutter article doesn't mention it but someone here said to leave it unplugged. I'm going to go with the 1/8 out adjustment for the needles.
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #203
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Does it make a difference if the stepper motor is unplugged or not? The Nutter article doesn't mention it but someone here said to leave it unplugged. I'm going to go with the 1/8 out adjustment for the needles.
Step #2 on the first post of this thread says to unplug it once you have the metering pins in the correct location and IT STAYS UNPLUGGED FOREVER.

You leave it unplugged because you don't want the computer moving the metering pins after you have them set correctly.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #204
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I thought once the bypass was done the metering pins don't get signals to move from the computer. The oxygen sensor wouldn't have any effect either. Maybe I misunderstood.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #205
Joe203

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you wanted to run the distributor with manifold vacuum instead of "ported" vacuum would you just leave the distributor the way it is or connect it somewhere else? I read in other threads the manifold vacuum was better for advancing the timing.

Thanks to all for your help. I have learned a lot since getting the YJ on Dec. 1st.

I've just re-read this entire thread and answered most of the questions I had. I also see there are more than one opinion as to using ported verses manifold vacuum. I'll do what Mike says and use the ported.
Unread 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #206
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I thought once the bypass was done the metering pins don't get signals to move from the computer. The oxygen sensor wouldn't have any effect either. Maybe I misunderstood.
The computer may still have a 'limp' mode that will set/move the pins.
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #207
BlackOpsPete
1988 YJ Wrangler 

WOW! Did the Nutter today and it is, as you have said, a whole new vehicle! I still have a few adjustments to make. Sounds like I have a little detonation but it really runs great, way better than before. The idle dropped from 1200 to about 850, smooth, no missing or roughness. This is a good mod!

So any best advice on correcting the detonation? Retard the timing or open up the stepper needles? I have it closer to 1/4" rather than 1/8"...
BlackOpsPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #208
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Timeing first, then lean the pins likely. You have it rich.
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #209
bvrshtr
1986 CJ7 

I'm getting ready to do the Nutter on my 86. Only question I have (so far) - the PO put a manual choke on. Should I leave it alone? If I need to get rid of it, is it as simple as disconnect and it magically fixes itself or what?

Thanks!!
bvrshtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #210
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrshtr View Post
I'm getting ready to do the Nutter on my 86. Only question I have (so far) - the PO put a manual choke on. Should I leave it alone? If I need to get rid of it, is it as simple as disconnect and it magically fixes itself or what?
Thanks!!
You need a choke of some kind whether it's automatic or manual. If the PO installed a manual choke, then I'd leave it there and leave it connected assuming it's working correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.