How to - Nutter Bypass - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to - Nutter Bypass

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #151
LoveableLaLa
1985 CJ7 

Can someone tell this noob exactly what supplies and tools I need to do this?

TIA

LoveableLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #152
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Needle nose plyers, and good timing light or a sensitive ear to how the engine is running, and two pieces of wire about 3ft in length. There should be a picture thread of this somewhere, here it is, hope this helps, if ya need any other help feel free to PM me, I should beable to guide you thru this pretty easily. And I am on all day till 11pm, because I sit at a job that doesnt require alot of demand.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...bypass-476720/
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #153
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveableLaLa View Post
Can someone tell this noob exactly what supplies and tools I need to do this?

TIA
I use two new chunks of 16 ga. wire about 6' long twisted together for RF insulation to connect the module to the distributor without messing inside the Jeep harness.

I then use solder and weatherproof heatshrink to connect the wires at the distributor harness plug on the vehicle side of the harness so the distributor still keeps it's plug. At the module end, I use a male/female bullet connector soldered and crimped in place on the purple wire so when/if the module has to be changed it can still be unplugged and a quick crimp on bullet connector half will get the new module ready fast.

I solder the orange wire just before the plug at the module so the old orange gets cut out there. not up inside the harness near the computer like some do.

You will then need a small flat head screwdriver to set the carb mix screws and a timing light and I think it is a 1/2" box end wrench to set the timing up.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #154
budello
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just do it. Very easy work. Now run very nice.
thank you guys
budello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #155
crsltman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

WOW--anyone debating whether to do it or not? Do it!!! Fantastic!! been kicking it around for 2-3 years and after seeing this really easy to understand post, went ahead and what a difference--everything you've heard is true--thanks for the post and all the efforts that went in to it! 87YJ
crsltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #156
CDFLIGHT

What a difference. I just did it to my 89 YJ because it would intermittently die. I did it to troubleshoot the microprocessor but will probably leave it that way. It is much smoother than it used to be. Thanks for the tech support and a great write-up. You guys saved me lots of money and time. Greatly appreciated.
CDFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #157
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

It was brought to my attention in another thread that if you want to keep the EGR working you might be able to get a bit more punch out of the engine by running the vacuum line to the EGR off the front bottom drivers side port on the BBD or the E port. On lots, this is capped on lots this was used. They made different flavors of EGR valves. This writeup says to use the S port which is OK for them, but a little more vacuum advance to the distributor may be had on some by using the E port.

Same for the Canister, most use a CTO so they don't turn on until the engine is warmed up, but some are direct from the S port. There are different flavors of chokes which can account for that.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #158
jwill
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I too, have some questions concerning the EGR hook up. Im getting ready to do the nutter bypass but i'm still uncertain where the egr connects after the nutter.

I have an '84, everything stock with a Weber 38. Also, 2 port CTO if that helps.

thanks
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #159
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill View Post
I too, have some questions concerning the EGR hook up. Im getting ready to do the nutter bypass but i'm still uncertain where the egr connects after the nutter.

I have an '84, everything stock with a Weber 38. Also, 2 port CTO if that helps.

thanks
I don't think you need to change the EGR. That is not part of the nutter.
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #160
IdahoJeeper
1995 ZJ 

"Nuttering" helps but one last step has not been emphasized.

There is a thread out there about this but it needs to be included in this thread too. Apologies if it's in here.

The computer controlled ignitions, include a dizzy that has either 6.5 or 7.5* of mechanical advance. The computer adds more advance if it's required. When you bypass the computer (Nutter), you limit your mechanical advance to about half what it could be.

Pick up a dizzy for a '79 (non-computer) 258. The mechanical advance is 13.5 or 18* of mechanical advance. You'll get that 'snappy' throttle response. Search distributor swap for details on how to it

Did mine a couple weeks ago. Cost about $60 after core return from CarQuest.
IdahoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #161
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Scott you have made a great point. As you've mentioned it should be included so here is a most revealing thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/te...wiring-595104/

In it among other very interesting things the readers will find how to flip the advance head of the pre-computer dizzy and the reported advantages that you may find in using the TFI coil.

jwill, in that your 38DGS Weber is most likely fitted with only the "S" ported nipple and if you're intention is to use it for vacuum timing advance I suggest that you not connect it to the EGR in any fashion. Considering the bleed of the EGR it will cause the vacuum advance to suffer that amount of loss and that reduces the amount of vacuum timing advance.

While being an advocate of the use of the EGR I want to point out that the genuine Webers can be tuned so that the EGR is not so necessary.

This is a most opportune time and I suggest that you read up on using manifold vacuum as the advance source so that the 'S' port would be free to use as the emission control just as it was prior to your Weber install. Here is a thread that touches on that very subject. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/timing-1055680/

Last edited by mcmud; 07-04-2010 at 02:34 PM..
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #162
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

Stupid question here so take it easy. I have a 34 deg carb on my 83 CJ7. I just tried to unplug the computer to see what would happen. It would not start. Plugged in back in and all is good. Do I still need to do the wiring change? I want to get the computer and associated wires out.
gmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #163
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgreen View Post
Stupid question here so take it easy. I have a 34 deg carb on my 83 CJ7. I just tried to unplug the computer to see what would happen. It would not start. Plugged in back in and all is good. Do I still need to do the wiring change? I want to get the computer and associated wires out.
You need to nutter it. Cut the orange and purple wires at your Ignition control module, and do the same to the wires coming out of the firewall on the opposite end of the engine bay, and use two long wires and connect them. This will bypass your computer.

Anyways, read the instructions and look at the pics, they helped me out when I did mine.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #164
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJeeper View Post
The computer adds more advance if it's required. When you bypass the computer (Nutter), you limit your mechanical advance to about half what it could be.
I believe it is the other way around, the advance is in there on the computerized distributor and the computer retards it (knock sensor for one part) so you do still get the top end punch with the stock distributor.

Quote:
Did mine a couple weeks ago. Cost about $60 after core return from CarQuest.
Did it make a noticeable difference other than just changing worn parts for new? More punch? Curious...
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #165
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgreen View Post
Sounds like a job for the Nutter Bypass. Oh, wait, that's the original point of this thread

Without the computer, the ignition system isn't going to work correctly. The Nutter Bypass will take the computer out of the ignition system loop.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.