How to - Nutter Bypass - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to - Nutter Bypass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #136
jkwap91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

alright so I did this and it worked great but the next day I went to go start it up it wont fire. Im getting a spark and fuel to the carb what could it be?

jkwap91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #137
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Gas filter in upside down?

Did you get the timing to 8 BTDC at idle with the vacuum line off and plugged?

Did you get the idle mix set?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #138
Mr-Rock
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Once the engine is nuttered and the computer is disconnected / removed it does nothing. When the computer is installed it feeds information to the computer. Once you remove the old wiring harrness you will find the wires from it leading to the plug at the computer. Here is a good link if you do not already have it. What Controls What
If you are already nuttered you should look in to removing the old wiring from the computer. I pulled mine about a month ago and was really amazed at the amount of wire I was able to remove. When I did it I also repalced the old black plastic wire conduit with some new conduit from auto zone. Be carefull when you start pulling the wire your reverse lights are mixed in with some of the old computer wiring. I cut my harness were it comes through the firewall at the computer, removed all the black wire conduit and tape and pulled each wire out one at a time. Took less that a hour, including reinstalling the conduit and looks nice.
Great thanks, Mine has a cut wire and I just wanted to make sure it wasn't harming anything.
One of these day I'll get in there and start removing the excess wires!
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #139
BigOrange90YJ

Question: I need to pass emissions one more time before I move to a county that doesnt do emissions. Right now I cannot pass do to exhaust leak and not having an enclosed airfilter. Should I wait until I get it to pass emissions or would it more then likely make it run cleaner?

Specs: 258 w/ Weber 32/36 I have pretty much removed everything emissions already though. Pretty much all that is left is the charcoal canister and pcv system recirculating I hope I won't have to find somebody to buy a sticker from.
BigOrange90YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #140
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Once it is only the air filter that would restrict you from passing the emission check you can get an adapter to accommodate the OEM air filter housing. I of course haven't a clue where you purchased your DGEV from but realize it was was very recently. I'm sure they will will sell you that adapter.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #141
BigOrange90YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
Once it is only the air filter that would restrict you from passing the emission check you can get an adapter to accommodate the OEM air filter housing. I of course haven't a clue where you purchased your DGEV from but realize it was was very recently. I'm sure they will will sell you that adapter.
so go ahead with the Nutter? I bought it right from redline.
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #142
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Defiantly. Often thought I read of emission test failures because of the non oem type carb and because of ripping out the vacuum switches, tubes and such. If this is not the case in your area and you loom the wires, no one will notice the nutter. It is a very good thing.
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #143
BigOrange90YJ

Ok awesome! You have been alot of help this week, thanks a ton. I'm going to nock out the nutter this weekend
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #144
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Your very welcome. Read this thread and all will be well, if the law will allow.
Roll Tide!
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #145
BigOrange90YJ

Well all I have to pass is the snuff test so hopefully I can tune it to pass.
Unread 12-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #146
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange90YJ View Post
Well all I have to pass is the snuff test so hopefully I can tune it to pass.
When I do the 'best lean' idle mix, I leave it at the rumble point, rather than back it off perfectly smooth. So when it gets to the rumble point, I only come back 1/8 of a turn on each screw instead of the 1/4 turn called for. The sniffer seems to like it there.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 02-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #147
dblount
1983 CJ7 

Great post! Thanks

Last edited by dblount; 02-24-2010 at 03:57 PM..
dblount is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #148
Drsafety
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
The NUTTER BYPASS IS FOR JEEPS 1982 AND NEWER WITH THE BBD CARTER CARB. IT MAKES THE BBD CARB ACT LIKE THE 1970'S AND early 1980'S CARB THAT DID NOT LOOK AT THE ENGINE OPERATION TO ADJUST THE CARB SETTINGS

This is a nice write up on the Nutter ByPass!!

If the JEEP OWNER goes thru this, Nutter, upgrade or change I would also recommend upgrading the cap, rotar, coil, and plug wires. I noticed you pics used the OEM Jeep grey distributor cap. This change gave me 2.5 mpg inprovement with out changing a single thing. This is often refered to as TeamRush Upgrade. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND BOTH, NUTTER & TEAMRUSH.

TeamRush by JeepHammer
GM HEI vs. Motorcraft/DuraSpark Ignitions

Regards,
Fred
I have an 1981 Kalifornia Jeep...I am sure it has the computer...Why does this thread state "82 or newer?" I plan on doing the Nutter bypass this weekend...Is there any reason the 81 Kalifornia jeep setup will cause issues?
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #149
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsafety View Post
I have an 1981 Kalifornia Jeep...I am sure it has the computer...Why does this thread state "82 or newer?" I plan on doing the Nutter bypass this weekend...Is there any reason the 81 Kalifornia jeep setup will cause issues?
In most places, the full Ford emissions computer that sat on top of the heater behind the glove box came in for the 83 year I think with a bunch in 82. The earlier ones like your 81 usually only had the O2 sensor and a carb feedback circuit on them, it didn't mess with the timing like the later ones I think it is.

So when you go look at yours, you may find the purple wire at the ignition module may go beyond the first plug. The full computer ones don't so you have to add the purple wire.

I would still be wanting to trace the wires from the ignition module to the distributor to be sure they don't tag that box on the passenger fender.

Then you would be wanting to set the feedback carb with the pins the same as the later ones like described here. If you have to remove the stepper motor to get it's pins moving, here is how it should set up to have the pins right:

Unread 03-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #150
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsafety View Post
Calf was an exception... Calf changed in 1981 to the computer and emissions for all the AMC products. The rest of USA did not change till 1982.

Emissions Versions will have the computer control and carb with feedback pins.

Calf also has strict laws on what you can change too. Sorry... the Calf guys are usually up on this 1981/1982 change date.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.