How much spindle galling can I get away with? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much spindle galling can I get away with?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

How much spindle galling can I get away with?

I know: NONE

LOL

I have torn apart two dana 30's so far and all four spindles had gallin. Unfort two of them the spindle bearings (the two nicest, imagine that) would not come out and just blew up when I tried tapping them out. So my question can I get by if I buff this up a little? I am not thrilled about the prospect of spending 100 on a single new one!

Thanks

Brian

CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The galling shown is no problme what so ever...

Just get some emery cloth on a strip, clean up the 'High' spots and run the spindle.

I would be more concerned with the seal surface rust than the galling on the spindle.

See, the wheel bearings have a very large/thick inner race that comes into contact with the spindle,
The actual BEARINGS never touch the spindle, just the inside of the bearing race,
So 'Textured' surfaces aren't an issue as long as the bearing doesn't 'Flop' around on the spindle.

I've used a punch and hammer to 'Peen' the surface of spindles to hold the bearing snugly after they were galled so badly the bearing moved around...
And it was successful!

(I have enough money now that I'm 40 years older to buy a new one instead of reusing JUNK! )

But I see NOTHING wrong with the spindle you are showing other than it needing smoothed down with a strip of emery cloth and having the hub seal surface polished up before reassembly.

I've seen guys freak out over rust on the bearing surface, so I take the old spindle home with me when they discard it.
The big 'Secret' is the bearings (proper) don't actually touch the spindle, so perfectly smooth surface isn't a requirement.

Anyone thats seen some of the lousy machine work from AMC should know that!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
The galling shown is no problme what so ever...

Just get some emery cloth on a strip, clean up the 'High' spots and run the spindle.

I would be more concerned with the seal surface rust than the galling on the spindle.

See, the wheel bearings have a very large/thick inner race that comes into contact with the spindle,
The actual BEARINGS never touch the spindle, just the inside of the bearing race,
So 'Textured' surfaces aren't an issue as long as the bearing doesn't 'Flop' around on the spindle.

I've used a punch and hammer to 'Peen' the surface of spindles to hold the bearing snugly after they were galled so badly the bearing moved around...
And it was successful!

(I have enough money now that I'm 40 years older to buy a new one instead of reusing JUNK! )

But I see NOTHING wrong with the spindle you are showing other than it needing smoothed down with a strip of emery cloth and having the hub seal surface polished up before reassembly.

I've seen guys freak out over rust on the bearing surface, so I take the old spindle home with me when they discard it.
The big 'Secret' is the bearings (proper) don't actually touch the spindle, so perfectly smooth surface isn't a requirement.

Anyone thats seen some of the lousy machine work from AMC should know that!
You know I half expected to get that as a answer. Sounds good to me!

I will hit that seal surface with the wire brush and then buff it out with some very fine emory cloth. Hopefully the seal surface isn't too pitted!
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Do yourself a favor and check the bearing fit prior to installing. Damaged surfaces like that can hang a bearing pretty hard on installation, causing a lot of hardship when attempting to dis-assemble it later on.
The bearing should slip on and off with little or no drag. IF you really have to push it on, then it will stick, most likely causing inner seal damage next time you remove the hub.
If it is loose, you can knurl it as jeephammer stated above using a sharp punch. Circle the spindle and cover the entire bearing area. If you have to do this, be sure to again check the bearing fit.
Don't forget those inner spindle bearings while you have it off.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Okay worked on it a bit, looking like this:

What do ya think?
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Do yourself a favor and check the bearing fit prior to installing. Damaged surfaces like that can hang a bearing pretty hard on installation, causing a lot of hardship when attempting to dis-assemble it later on.
The bearing should slip on and off with little or no drag. IF you really have to push it on, then it will stick, most likely causing inner seal damage next time you remove the hub.
If it is loose, you can knurl it as jeephammer stated above using a sharp punch. Circle the spindle and cover the entire bearing area. If you have to do this, be sure to again check the bearing fit.
Don't forget those inner spindle bearings while you have it off.
Those inner spindle bearing, were a pain in the *** to get out.
Unread 01-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You know, there is a really cool three fingered driver that taps them right out.
Nobody has one, and without it, you can go nuts fighting them.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
You know, there is a really cool three fingered driver that taps them right out.
Nobody has one, and without it, you can go nuts fighting them.
Yeah I used a steel punch which I heated up and bent. I should have bought a spindle bearing puller, but I got lazy. One bearing broke and I had to dremel out the outside race. That was no fun.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.