How much to offer for a Cj5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much to offer for a Cj5?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-05-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
Brendan

How much to offer for a Cj5?

My neighbor has a cj5 that he hasn't run in four years. It has 60,000 miles on the 304 under the hood, with a t-150 behind it. I want to sell my Wrangler to buy this cj5. How much should i offer him? I don't want to insult him, but I want to pay as little as possible. Any thoughts?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:54 PM   #2
Jeep CJ5

What condition is the Jeep in? How much rust on the body? Why did it stop running? Was it used for plowing (frame cracks)? How is the frame, much rust or rot? Is this a project Jeep and will need a lot of work? Is there a top that is in gd condition? How is the interior? Do you need a new top and interior?

This is the kind of scenario if your neighbor wants too much you say 'No thanks, but keep me in mind' and you wait. Unless you are really gung ho then pay his price (but use the things I mentioned above to get the price down)

My Jeep was an old plow Jeep when I bought it. The body was shot, but it ran. The frame was cracked but all the original drivetrain was intact. I paid $500. Then she got a 5 year professional restoration. Now it is like brand new (even better).

What are you planning on doing with the Jeep? Daily driver, restore or off roading?

Post about the condition of the Jeep.

Good Luck!

Billy
Unread 02-06-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

Jeep 75 is asking all the right questions. What year is it?
I put better than 100K on the 304 before I traded up.
I'm very partial to CJ5's. So I might open my wallet sooner then many others.

I'm looking for a rust buck CJ5 for cheap. I want to build up another fiberglas monster for my daughter.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
Brendan

The body is in pretty bad condition. I think it was used for plowing. Basically I would be re-doing the entire rig. So I will probably offer him $500, and if he says no, then oh well.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Unread 02-06-2002, 10:24 PM   #5
Jeep CJ5

If you want a complete project to do then by all means buy a project Jeep. But if you are trying to save a buck or get in cheap it will cost you more in the long run.

If you are looking for some thing fun to drive and fix up as you go wait and buy something nicer. Finding a project that someone else has put a lot of $$$ and time into is also another way to go. Usually people are willing sell a Jeep for a lot less than they have into it just to recoup some of their $$$$.

Really sit down and plan what you want to do and how much it will cost. This is the best way to ensure that you will not have any regrets a few months down the road.

(I sound like my dad here but this comes from a wayward project or two!!!!)

Billy

Feel free to e-mail me

Trader23@hotmail.com

Advice costs $25 and hour!
Unread 02-07-2002, 01:34 PM   #6
Brendan

I wouldn't ever buy some one's already finnished project. I just ran into some trouble with my jeep though. Get this: There was a hole in my oil filter!!!!!!!!!! I took it to my auto tech class, and I have to leave it there, and hope that I didn't do any damage buy driving it. I didn't know I didn't have any oil, till I got there and I heard the bearing squealing and the valves hitting. thanks for the advice.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Unread 02-07-2002, 11:16 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

HEY

Hey Brenden, don't offer him anything.Ask him what he want's for "that ol jeep laying in your back yard" and see what HE wants for it, then you can counter offer. Act like your doing him a favor by getting that eyesore out of his way.(remember to be respectful)Ive gotten more good deals this way.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.