How much money have you invested into your CJ? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much money have you invested into your CJ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Reply
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #61
TexasJeepyall
Registered User
CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 61
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/79...icano-1562189/

My jeeps build thread! new pics included!

__________________
hey atheists,
If God doesn’t exist… then how has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/662931/highlights/35184377
TexasJeepyall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #62
84scrambler
Registered User
1984 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 188
I bought my CJ8 when I was 19, turning 34 in the next week. About 7-8 years ago I pulled all of my receipts that I saved for it and added up a little over $25k including the purchase price of $7900. Sad thing is I didn't have that much money back then. Jeep ended up going on the back burner for about 4 years and became my daily commuter as I went to college. Now I'm neck deep into a frame off restoration and have added a front ARB dana 44, klune box, new steering column, full roll cage and a bunch of other crap. If I were to guess I am sitting about $35-$40k now.

One important thing to keep in mind is the experience and hands on knowledge you will pick up from this hobby. People can give you grief (i.e. parents) but in the end the investment in yourself through your hobbies will ultimately be a big part of who you are as you go through life.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #63
TexasJeepyall
Registered User
CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84scrambler View Post
I bought my CJ8 when I was 19, turning 34 in the next week. About 7-8 years ago I pulled all of my receipts that I saved for it and added up a little over $25k including the purchase price of $7900. Sad thing is I didn't have that much money back then. Jeep ended up going on the back burner for about 4 years and became my daily commuter as I went to college. Now I'm neck deep into a frame off restoration and have added a front ARB dana 44, klune box, new steering column, full roll cage and a bunch of other crap. If I were to guess I am sitting about $35-$40k now.

One important thing to keep in mind is the experience and hands on knowledge you will pick up from this hobby. People can give you grief (i.e. parents) but in the end the investment in yourself through your hobbies will ultimately be a big part of who you are as you go through life.
very well put, happy early birthday btw!
__________________
hey atheists,
If God doesn’t exist… then how has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/662931/highlights/35184377
TexasJeepyall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #64
McCalljeeper
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: McCall, Idaho
Posts: 27
84 CJ, AMC 4 cyl, 60000 actual miles:

$6000 purchase (6 months ago)
$1100 mechanic
$200 misc

Need:

Seat belts
Heater fan
McCalljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #65
melancholy35
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Preston, Maryland
Posts: 71
$23,500.00 so far
melancholy35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #66
jhughes2013
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NC
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
The first rule of CJ Spending Club, is we don't talk about CJ Spending Club.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
X2 There is a reason we don't talk about it.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. Total protonic reversal.

It could also possibly create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!
__________________
'77 CJ7, LS1, NV4500/D300, Ford 8.8, 4" of lift, 33x12.50 BFG ATs...
jhughes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #67
Captainak
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hemitage, PA
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84scrambler
I bought my CJ8 when I was 19, turning 34 in the next week. About 7-8 years ago I pulled all of my receipts that I saved for it and added up a little over $25k including the purchase price of $7900. Sad thing is I didn't have that much money back then. Jeep ended up going on the back burner for about 4 years and became my daily commuter as I went to college. Now I'm neck deep into a frame off restoration and have added a front ARB dana 44, klune box, new steering column, full roll cage and a bunch of other crap. If I were to guess I am sitting about $35-$40k now.

One important thing to keep in mind is the experience and hands on knowledge you will pick up from this hobby. People can give you grief (i.e. parents) but in the end the investment in yourself through your hobbies will ultimately be a big part of who you are as you go through life.
I would argue the same the positive time and experience is just good for the soul.... And as long as all the bills are paid then I see no harm !!!! 100% agree
__________________
1982 CJ7, AMC 401, Dana 60 & 14 Bolt
http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Captainak
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11197532#post1119753 https://plus.google.com/photos/116451153412037001676/albums/5857883655447386049
Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #68
Captainak
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hemitage, PA
Posts: 415
I want to add this thought on here ...... I bought my CJ in 09 as a project on wheels......

At the time I was facing disability retirement after over 17 years in the Army...... I was a mess mentally and physically...... This was right after my second tour in Iraq in 08 ....I was also facing divorce, loss off children, loss of home, cars, money..... Ect........

Many of you on here know me and have commented on my posts over the years about my build......

But what many don't know ....is that the transformation of my jeep also helped in the healing of my mind soul and spirit...... I'm still plagued with issues today but am better able to cope with them and I am not doing so through the end of an alcohol container.....

I suspect that many of you have not had the same experience as I......but Im confident that the "buy it, build it, break it, fix it cycle" has some sort of personal therapeutic work in your own lives. ..........

I'm a disabled retired army captain (old me) and currently a social work student for veterans (new me) because in part from "Airmed" -My Jeep!

JEEP ON..... FELLOW JEEPERS!!!
__________________
1982 CJ7, AMC 401, Dana 60 & 14 Bolt
http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Captainak
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11197532#post1119753 https://plus.google.com/photos/116451153412037001676/albums/5857883655447386049
Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #69
jhughes2013
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NC
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainak View Post
I want to add this thought on here ...... I bought my CJ in 09 as a project on wheels......

At the time I was facing disability retirement after over 17 years in the Army...... I was a mess mentally and physically...... This was right after my second tour in Iraq in 08 ....I was also facing divorce, loss off children, loss of home, cars, money..... Ect........

Many of you on here know me and have commented on my posts over the years about my build......

But what many don't know ....is that the transformation of my jeep also helped in the healing of my mind soul and spirit...... I'm still plagued with issues today but am better able to cope with them and I am not doing so through the end of an alcohol container.....

I suspect that many of you have not had the same experience as I......but Im confident that the "buy it, build it, break it, fix it cycle" has some sort of personal therapeutic work in your own lives. ..........

I'm a disabled retired army captain (old me) and currently a social work student for veterans (new me) because in part from "Airmed" -My Jeep!

JEEP ON..... FELLOW JEEPERS!!!
I have to agree with the Captain. I was lost after a suicide attack on one of my patrols in Afghanistan in Feb 2011. I lost 3 of my guys and wouldn't be alive right now if it weren't for one of them. In May 2011 I joined the JF and decided to do a build. Spent the rest of my off time during deployment crawling the JF and learning everything I could. The JF helped me keep my mind busy planning a build which allowed me to deal with my issues when I was ready.

The build itself was therapeutic. Just me and myself behind my welding mask and no one else. Going into my garage was a relief from life and gave me time to think things through which I needed a lot of (hence the overboardness of my build). I don't worry about the amount of money spent on my CJ because it's a lot more than "just a Jeep". The tough part for newcomers is finding the balance between family and the Jeep.
__________________
'77 CJ7, LS1, NV4500/D300, Ford 8.8, 4" of lift, 33x12.50 BFG ATs...
jhughes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #70
Msmall
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes2013 View Post
I have to agree with the Captain. I was lost after a suicide attack on one of my patrols in Afghanistan in Feb 2011. I lost 3 of my guys and wouldn't be alive right now if it weren't for one of them. In May 2011 I joined the JF and decided to do a build. Spent the rest of my off time during deployment crawling the JF and learning everything I could. The JF helped me keep my mind busy planning a build which allowed me to deal with my issues when I was ready.

The build itself was therapeutic. Just me and myself behind my welding mask and no one else. Going into my garage was a relief from life and gave me time to think things through which I needed a lot of (hence the overboardness of my build). I don't worry about the amount of money spent on my CJ because it's a lot more than "just a Jeep". The tough part for newcomers is finding the balance between family and the Jeep.
To spin off the therapeutic concept I bought the jeep for the therapeutic aspect as well.
It allows me to Focus on somethin different in my life. My Wife was diagnosed 3 months ago with stage 4 uncurible breast cancer that's spread to the lungs and bones. Times are tough and without positive distractions things would be brutal.

We are both just 29!

Working on the cj let's me focus my energy opand mind on something constructive. And the feeling of accomplishment that I have once I've finished my task is great.

To each there own, but keeping my jeep project going is cheaper than the $125 per hour a therapist would charge. Not much cheaper though

And gents....thank you for your service!
Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #71
VooDoo2
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 691
IM not an American, just a Aussie from down under but i respect and appreciate your service and sacrifice for your country.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #72
Sean_Cj7
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 68
Wonder how much he will spend on his jeep by the time he is all grown up?
image.jpg

__________________
Sean
Sean_Cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #73
TexasJeepyall
Registered User
CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 61
sean thats the best picture ever.
__________________
hey atheists,
If God doesn’t exist… then how has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/662931/highlights/35184377
TexasJeepyall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #74
kjonesie
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bryant, Arkansas
Posts: 123
J ust
E empty
E very
P ocket
kjonesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.