How much money have you invested into your CJ? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much money have you invested into your CJ?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #46
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

sorry guys! i didnt know it went without saying that some people spend more than they should lol
and i used the word invested because i wanted to stay away from the word wasted
i know guys on here love their jeeps very much and might get offended if i did.
anyways, i just think its pretty interesting how it varies from person to person, situation to situation.
my cj doesnt need anything expensive like a new tranny, it runs fine.. just some add ons like mirrors and seatbelts and stuff.
(un)fortunately for me, my cj is my only vehicle, so i dont feel as bad spending cash on it because its cause i have to lol dad said "buy your own car, or get the CJ."
screw it! CJ it IS!

jeep.jpg  
TexasJeepyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #47
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
I've had my 86 CJ7 for 23 years now, you don't wanna know.
lol, me too. Going on 24 years

2nd engine, 4th trans, 3rd set of drive shafts, etc. You get the idea. I quit keeping tabs on $ long ago. I've had to tighten my belt because there was something I had to have, I have bought things that I didn't need at the moment because I had money burning a hole in my pocket. And after 24 years, there is still a short list of things I would like to have. But I can think of worse habits to have.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #48
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
Do you have a spring over lift? Blocks would lower your Jeep stock config.

And to answer your question... I am still in 4 figures, barely. Regearing will break that though.
yeah it has blocks on the front axle that makes the steering insanely loose..
img_3388-3-.jpg

Unread 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #49
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeepyall View Post
yeah it has blocks on the front axle that makes the steering insanely loose..
Dude, you are gonna spend some serious money on that rig! Hope you got lots of tools, it will save some of the expense.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #50
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
my cj doesnt need anything expensive like a new tranny, it runs fine.. just some add ons like mirrors and seatbelts and stuff.
You will soon learn how very wrong you are

kov
kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #51
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Dude, you are gonna spend some serious money on that rig! Hope you got lots of tools, it will save some of the expense.
ive heard. lol cant ijust buy lift kit and have it put on and adjusted bysomebody that knows about caster angles and stuff? doesnt the lift come with springs and u bolts and pistons?
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #52
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
ive heard. lol cant ijust buy lift kit and have it put on and adjusted bysomebody that knows about caster angles and stuff? doesnt the lift come with springs and u bolts and pistons?
Dude you are in full custom redneck zone on that lift. There is NO lift you can buy that will just bolt on to your jeep. It has been taken to far from stock.

Example You are spring OVER axle now. Stock was spring UNDER axle. I expect all sorts of steering and suspension gremlins there. Get that Jeep SAFE before any thing else.

Edit: you might be money/time ahead to find a set of unmolested axles. The springs and shackles look stock.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #53
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
Dude you are in full custom redneck zone on that lift. There is NO lift you can buy that will just bolt on to your jeep. It has been taken to far from stock.

Example You are spring OVER axle now. Stock was spring UNDER axle. I expect all sorts of steering and suspension gremlins there. Get that Jeep SAFE before any thing else.
uh oh, that doesnt sound good at all. we didnt make any of these mods ourselves, just bought it that way... how can i get it safe?
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #54
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

What does the underside of the spring mount look like.

I'm betting some guy just welded the blocks on the top, ground off the perch on the bottom. put a drop pitman arm on, longer drive shafts, and called it good. No thought to pinion angle or caster, or draglink/tierod location.
You're probably some thing like 10-12" lift. SOA (spring over) by itself nets 5-6" with out blocks.
From the pix its hart to say what would be easier, fixing the SOA or going back to SUA. I'm thinking yours could go back to SOA depending on mods.

I won't say how much I have in my CJ ( an RX7 & Kawasaki ZX9 +$). But I will say that I always try do the supporting mods 1st so I don't end up redoing stuff. Problem with CJs and any older vehicle is you never really know what the last owner did.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #55
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
What does the underside of the spring mount look like.

I'm betting some guy just welded the blocks on the top, ground off the perch on the bottom. put a drop pitman arm on, longer drive shafts, and called it good. No thought to pinion angle or caster, or draglink/tierod location.
You're probably some thing like 10-12" lift.
ill take some pics tomorrow bud.
i have another thread about this whole mess,
ill post them there if you want
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/st...-help-1546086/
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #56
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

To add here, the spring hangers don't look attached very well for the type of lift you have (soa, 3"blocks and so forth). Probably need to address that as well. Your springs look pretty flat. What width are the springs?

Could go YJ springs and hangers and keep the soa. Do a tie rod flip w/inserts to get the tie rod up closer to level (eliminate that scary bump steer if possible). Put some shims to cure up the castor problem. If you gotta do one end at a time, do the front and just take out the rear blocks to get ya by. Probably $600 in parts. It will be a good learning journey too, many threads on the swap here on JF.
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #57
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quick question,

Can you cut, grind, bend and weld metal? If so, it will be fun. Access to tools like a cut-off saw, torch, grinders, welders, etc. are a huge help.

Start a build thread, there are folks here who have already done this stuff and learned the lessons you can skip if you'll listen. There is some serious talent on this forum, don't be afraid to ask and read through their threads.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #58
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

Edit: you might be money/time ahead to find a set of unmolested axles. The springs and shackles look stock.
2nd this. Find a set of cheap stock axles, WT if you can find some. I'm sure your current gearing is wrong and still original anyways, based on the other work that was done.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #59
TexasJeepyall
CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Quick question,

Can you cut, grind, bend and weld metal? If so, it will be fun. Access to tools like a cut-off saw, torch, grinders, welders, etc. are a huge help.

Start a build thread, there are folks here who have already done this stuff and learned the lessons you can skip if you'll listen. There is some serious talent on this forum, don't be afraid to ask and read through their threads.
i work in a welding shop, so yes. lol

ill start the thread today
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #60
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

For a quick fix, and this is only based on what the pic shows, you could remove the blocks and get some new, shorter u-bolts. This would lower your center of gravity, help with your steering drag link angle, and be easy enough to do in a day so you could still drive it the next day. Then you could take more time and do the proper planning for the full fix.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.