How much lift for 35s? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much lift for 35s?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

How much lift for 35s?

I'll be surprised if anyone even reads this after readin the subject. But here it goes: I've decided on bds (please don't try to convince me otherwise it's taken months already to get here) and I'm going to do a pieced together yj conversion. The goal is to have 35 without rubbing. My jeep is an 84with a 1" body lift, and from my understanding ill also want to account for another 1/2" lift from the longer yj shackles. The questionis: bds only makes either 3.5" springs or 5" springs. Would 5" be too much? I don't want to spend all of this money for something that looks dumb or won't drive worth a crap! Already have gears, and one pieces in the garage so I should be set there. I will be using Crabtree shackles and hangers. Does anyone have a setup similar to this? Sounds like I'd end up with 6.5" of lift total, and if I wanted a 6 ft long monster truck I would have just done soa.

RedRaiderCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
13riverking
1981 CJ7 

I would try a 3.5" with the shackle and slight body lift. If it ends up tight you can do a reversal shackle and make up what you need with taller shackles. I've got a 4" with 1 shackle and one body I don't rub except in extreme cases but I have 14.5" wide 35s. So I'm thinking of one more inch after a reverse shackle.
13riverking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
aufan
1986 CJ7 

I think 5" SUA would be a very harsh ride imo.
aufan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

on my 5 I have a 2.5 BDS lift with a 2" body lift with 35x15.5 SS and I have minor rubbing when fully flexed.
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
dandd
1982 CJ8 

I have a RE 4.5" with 1" body lift on a 82 Scrambler and 1.5" wheel spacer's. After testing on a ramp I moved the front and rear axle forward 1" with new rear spring pads and front spring relocation pins from M.O.R.E (Mountain Off Road). Doing this centered the tire inside the cutouts otherwise the tires would hit the rear fender lip when flexing.

I also used their sterring box relocation bracket (forward 1 1/4") maybe not required.
dandd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
CSP

Go with the 3.5". Every BDS lift I've heard of usually amounts to more lift than advertised.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I plan to change mine over to the BDS Yj 5" springs in the near future. I think a lot of what springs you should go with depends on what extras you may have mounted on your Jeep. I have a trailmaster 4" spring lift, 2" longer than stock shackles, 2" body lift and I scrape the fenders a lot more than I should, but I also have a winch, heavy bumpers, 35" spare, rear storage box that's full, 1/4" SS diamond plate on the rear floor, etc, etc all helping to weigh it down. I'm really hoping that the Bds springs yield a little more than advertised lift.
Unread 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

Lift

Based on your body lift and increased shackle length the 3.5" BDS should get you there so your 35s don't rub. I've got a CJ-8 and I did a BDS lift last year. I went with the 5" lift springs in the rear and 3.5" lift springs in the front. This is becuase I did a MORE shackle reversal at the same time which adds about 1.5" to your lift in the front. I also put on 6" shackles which only give you 1" in lift over stock. Since a stock shackle is 4" (hole center to hole center), every inch of shackle length you add only gets you 1/2" of actual lift. So a 6" shackle will get you 1" of lift over stock. My scrambler has no body lift. I only run 33" tires and can stuff them at full stuff probably because the 6" shackles really flatten out the spring more than a 4" shackle would. Also, the shackle reversal really centered the front axle in the whell well.

Karl
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Anakedman

My plan is to old man emu 2.5 lift 5/8 shackle and 1 body lift with either tube fenders or tj flares. With waggy dana 44s at full with should clear the body and fenders nicely in theroy.

This will all happen when i gets the monies.........
Anakedman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Wow this is going better than I thought. Can y'all post pictures if you have them? Also that's more than one mention of shackle reversals. Trying not to change the direction of the thread here but I read somewhere that those were dangerous and companies quit making them because you lose stopping power?

To address one response, I have a hardtop and maybe eventually a 35" spare and way in the future a winch up front. Stock bumpers etc., no significant weight issues.

Maybe I'm wrong but stock cj shackles are 3" right? So my 4" yj shackles would yield .5" lift, but 6" shackles would yield 1.5", no?

Thank for the responses guys, it looks like now I'm leaning to 3.5" springs instead of the 5"! Why can't bds make a 4" yj spring? I feel like that would be perfect. But I have heard most bds lifts are conservative on their advertised height... Atleast initially.
Unread 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

I have a 3" Black Diamond lift and a 1" BL and I rub on full flex with my TJ flaresand 2" wheel spacers. But since your's is an 84 you should have WT axles and I'm currently running NT axles. I hope this helps.

Side Note.....83cj8-------- Stock CJ shackles are 3" eye to eye. YJ shackles are 4" eye to eye. So you have 1 1/2" lift over stock.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
RedRaiderCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Treehugger,

Do you have cj springs with 3 inch shackles? And I'm assuming you trimmed quite a bit the get the flares on there, where does it still rub?
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Since a true 35" tire will not fit in the rear wheel well opening, you'll need to trim the tub on the rear of the opening... or you could wait and have the tire show you how much clearance you need the next time you go wheeling.

If you want a picture, my profile gallery shows the passenger rear wheel well.

NOTE: I painted any body parts under the flare with flat black so the body may be mistaken for part of the flare.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
83cj8
1983 CJ8 

Treehugger, thanks for clearing up the 3" eye to eye on a cj stock shackle. My jeep has a little sag in the rear and I have plenty of room in the front with the 33" tires so I'll probably put a little shorter (5') shackle on the front in the future.

karl
83cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

RedRaiderCJ7--I have CJ shackles, yes.

83cj8--5" shackle will net you about 1 1/2" of lift. That's a HUGE lift shackle. And will more than likely mess with your steering also. So please be careful.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.