How much height can i lose by airing down? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much height can i lose by airing down?

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
83vert
1982 CJ7 

How much height can i lose by airing down?

I'm looking to put my new tires on but I'm afraid that they might make the jeep to tall to get into the garage. If I air down how much lower will the jeep sit? The tires are 34.5" and I have the rubicon 4.5" lift

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Probably not much unless you let almost all of it out. I air down to 8 psi when I go wheeling, with no noticeable bulge unless I plant a tire against something.
It would really suck to have to air up the tires every day.

I clear my garage door by less than 1". I could crank the door springs up tighter and gain another inch or so if I had to.
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I think ill make it but it would suck if the jeep wasn't finished and I couldn't get it back in the garage.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If you have a door opener adjust it so the door opens further.
Wether you have a opener or not, adjusting the springs may not raise the door enough. The point of the springs be they torsion ( above the door, on the header) or the old style springs along the top rail, is so the door is balanced. Meaning if the door is opened 1/2 way the door will stay where it stopped.

If your spring(s) are the torsion style, and you have never worked on them, I strongly advise NOT adjusting them yourself.
I personally know 2 people who were off work because of injuries from trying this.
I do know the proper way to adjust this type of spring, and have done it a number of times.

I have a 7' garage door, my SOA CJ on 36" tires fits under my door, if I disconnect the opener and push the door up. A 2x4 is used to hold it up far enough. ( between the header and door)
My other CJ with 35" tires and 4" of lift fits thru the door without disconnecting the opener.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.