How much do sway bar bushings effect steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much do sway bar bushings effect steering

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

How much do sway bar bushings effect steering

So I am under the front of my CJ today and notice that I have 2 sway bar bushings that are completely missing. Not sure how that happened but on the passenger side link the upper is missing and on the drivers side link the lower is missing. My jeep drives fine on good roads and its much better on rough roads now I put stock shackles back on it but it still has a little tendency to move around. I attributed this to tires but now I am thinking maybe the sway bar bushings could have something to do with it?

CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Other than body roll, I would say none. I dis-connect mine every time I go wheeling, and the steering stays the same, I just have to remember it has a lot more roll to the body. The older CJ's didn't even come with a sway bar.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Check all tie rod ends and steering shaft - especially the joint up near the firewall. Mine was very loose before I changed to Borgeson u-joints. Check wheel bearings also. One more thing was contributing to my wandering issues. My front passenger side shackle mount was very loose, almost ready to depart the vehicle loose. Glad I caught that before anything happened. You just had yours apart, so that's not an issue. Like previous poster said, sway bar would have no affect on how tight the steering is, it's just for body roll around corners.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.