How much did it cost to restore your Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How much did it cost to restore your Jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Hillbillyd
1980 CJ5 

How much did it cost to restore your Jeep?

I don't know if this has been done before, but thought it might be interesting. I'm thinking about restoring my CJ5, but if I calculate right, by the time I do everything I want to do to it I'll have enough in it that I could have bought a new one! I like the coolness of the older Jeeps, but there is lots to be said about the later technology ( engine, suspension, heat, air, etc.) Just wondering (ballpark) how much it costed you to restore or upgrade your Jeep, what all you did to it, and would you do it again or would you just go buy a new one?

Hillbillyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

The sky's the limit !
Easy technology fix:
Keep the looks old school.
Change the drivetrain and all electronics to new school.
Also you can add in as many comfort creators as you like
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Well If price is your main concern better buy a new one us cj owers usually just like to work on ours instead of driving them.
mknight759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
kk33
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never restored a jeep but Ive done a few cars and theres nothing like standing back and looking at one you have built yourself. You would have a lot more respect for it.
kk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Cost me about $5-6K to restore mine, to include the actual cost of the rust bucket I purchased. If you include my labor cost, well then that's another story. But parts and the little work I did have outsourced cost me around $5K.

I would most certainly do it all over again. The number of CJ's in the world today is the largest it will ever be - and it will only shrink.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
dariopop
1980 CJ7 

Here is a 1980 " Stock " cj-7 jeep that I just completed , I have about $3,700 in new parts into it not counting the $ 3,000 cost of the jeep. I did a lot more than was needed to get it into shape and running but I am very pleased with the results and the bottom line cost . You could probably knock off about $1,000 in cost if you subtrack items that I added that you don't need. My description of the jeep below will tell you why I spent time doing this project , it really never has been off road , it runs like a new jeep now. I didn't plan on keeping the jeep , I thought there was a better market out there for them. If you plan on keeping it dump your money into it , here in Connecticut, , even though the jeep is from Texas and stored there for 20 years ,I can't even get my money back , I was asking $7,500 , I have decided to put it back into storage in the rear of my garage for a year or so until I need the room for another project.
I get " LOT OF OOHS and AHAS and LOOKS AND QUESTIONS " but no MOOLA!!
Good luck with your project, I have to say I actually had fun doing this jeep as it's the easiest car I have ever worked on and I am looking for another project for this winter.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/al...heavy-1039658/

Here is an UP-date of my new parts.1980 CJ-7 Laredo
Registered in Texas from 1980 - 1990
Stored from 1990 -2009
Never driven off -road
Original 64,600 miles
Currently Registered in Connecticut
Emission exempt
New Parts:
1) Rebuilt Cylinder Head
2) New Push rods
3) New Head Gasket
4) Rebuilt Carburetor
5) Refurbished Radiator
6) New Thermostat and Alum Housing
7) Engine Flushed and new antifreeze
8) Refurbished all universal joints with synthetic Mobil 1 grease
9) New front and rear Transfer Case oil seals
10) New Heater core
11) Refurbished Heater box
12) New fuel lines
13) New fuel pump
14) New Vacuum lines
15) New Polyurethane gas tank
16) New in tank sending unit
17) New Brass float to replace cheap plastic one on sending unit
18) New brake calipers ( 4 )
19) New brake pads
20) Brake lines flushed and Silicone brake fluid installed
21) New interior glove box ( plastic)
22) New Alpine CD/MP-3 Stereo head
23) New 400 Watt 3X9 speakers
24) New Custom speaker Box to hold new speakers
25) New Smitty built Console Stereo Vault ( lockable )
26) New #3,000 front winch
27) New Chrome Valve cover
28) Cleaned and flushed all gear boxes & ,transfer case and transmission and filled with Amsoil synthetic gear oil
29) New remote 12volt emergency cutoff switch located in drivers compartment
30) New spark plugs
31) New plug wires
32) New electronic control Module
33) New Accel High output coil
34) New Windshield
35) New Roll bar mounted fire extinguisher and holder
36) Under coated complete chassis
37) Herculined complete interior
38) New Heater blower motor Chevy upgrade ( 3 times more power )
39) New Best-top Bikini top and Header brackets
40) New signal side light's and lenses ( 4 )
41) New Battery tray and Battery
42) New Clutch Cross Shaft
43) New Clutch linkage
44) New Custom jeep all weather cover
45) New Hoist-A-Top ( Hand crank & Electric ) for hard top
46) New ( not rebuilt ) Water Pump
47) New Master Brake Cylinder
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
lanecj5
1980 CJ5 

My .02....My sons build is in "backyard build".I am not cheap but very selective about what I purchase and I can tell you if you take your time it can be done on a tight budget.There are things you will HAVE to do and then things that you WANT to do...a huge difference.for example I could've spent 500.00 on front seats but found some very nice cloth seats w/ heavy clothe covering for 80 and free shipping on ebay...CD player and front speakers,clarion out of u-pull it yard 30.00.Paint I bought as a kit and did the body work myself..kit 75.00 and misc to complete bodywork,about 175.00 in a paint job.YES You can spend thousands,but the biggest thing I'm having to do is just replace what is missing,or broken,worn out etc....These cjs are 30 years old so they will take $$$ just to get them roadworthy again.This build we are doing is for my son and he will definately understand what it took to put it together and appreciate it a whole lot more.x 2 what mknight759 just said..Us cj owners just like to work on ours ,not drive them...But this one is kinda cool to drive too.Just post up what you want to do and someone on here will know a better less expensive way to do something...Everyone here has been great in helping us do ours....I've got $3200.00 total in our build so far.....Good luck and God bless,Mike
lanecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariopop View Post
Here is a 1980 " Stock " cj-7 jeep that I just completed , I have about $3,700 in new parts into it not counting the $ 3,000 cost of the jeep.
I can't even get my money back , I was asking $7,500 , I have decided to put it back into storage in the rear of my garage for a year or so until I need the room for another project.
I get " LOT OF OOHS and AHAS and LOOKS AND QUESTIONS " but no MOOLA!!
Laredo's can be funny.
You should easily get $7,500 for it if it had the decal kit installed.
Also, All the Laredo options should be present, Because that really hurts the value.
Just a quick glance at the pics, I noticed some items.
Wrong steering wheel & horn cap, missing A/C ashtray and bent bumper.
Any addition "non factory" hurts the value as well, Like the liner "although it looks good"
And I would assume it has a clean & clear title for the asking price.
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
Hillbillyd
1980 CJ5 

Cool stories so far. What I have in mind for mine is: late model chevy fuel injected engine, 4 wheel disc brakes, sandblast and paint the chassis, paint and decals for the body, new windshield frame, wheels, tires, rebuild both axles,new hard top, new interior, newer style gauges, stereo system. The Jeep is straight and basically rust free, but still gonna cost alot. I've just been weighing out the options....
Hillbillyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Currently on my CJ-7 restoration is about $16,000.00
Most of the cost is the purchase of the Repli-tub and the money spent prepping it for paint and painting it....$8,000.
The other $8,000 is frame prep, engine rebuild, drive train rebuild, new parts, refurbishing OEM parts, etc.

If you are looking for perfection in a restoration, it will cost you even if you do all the labor yourself.

....and the restoration continues....

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

all said and done ill be in the 7-8k range including purchasing the jeep. keep your eyes out for C/L and ebay finds, i picked up another cj with a complete fiberglass tub/fenders/hood with a 360 for about a grand. sold my camaro (96 z28) for some cash and body & paint. got a complete holley projection system for free from a friend who had no use for it.

for the money and time ive put into i wouldnt be able to find anything that is exactly what i want any cheaper.

dariopop - you might want to try putting some listings on Long Island, there are a few down here that have sold for good money that arent nearly as clean or as sharp looking as yours.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
CJ579
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Including the cost of the jeep, im into my 79 CJ5 Silver Anniversary for about 12k so far. There were a lot of mods done to it and im taking it back to original, and there were a lot of parts I couldnt find. If I had done it the way I intended Id be around 15k.
dsc_0128.jpg   dsc_0130.jpg   dsc_0129.jpg   dsc_0131.jpg  
CJ579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ579 View Post
Including the cost of the jeep, im into my 79 CJ5 Silver Anniversary for about 12k so far. There were a lot of mods done to it and im taking it back to original, and there were a lot of parts I couldnt find. If I had done it the way I intended Id be around 15k.
You could eat off of that one, it's so clean!!!!!!!!
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ579 View Post
There were a lot of mods done to it and im taking it back to original, and there were a lot of parts I couldnt find.
Did you have any luck finding the original seats, material & buttons ?
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
CJ579
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nope on the seat material, I did get the blank buttons, and still have the original rear seat.
CJ579 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.