how to measure frame twist.?. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > how to measure frame twist.?.

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

how to measure frame twist.?.

what reference point do you use to see if your frame rail ends are offset? obviously the ground won't work since the susp is a variable. there is no obvious evidence of frame bending with visual inspection of welds and rails, but the driver's side leans about 1" lower than passenger. guys on my other post said the lean is likely cheap springs, but want to be sure.

CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Look up CJ lean. It is a factory defect that can be fixed by putting a lowering block under the passenger side rear axle according to a Jeep TSB. My 86 frame barely had any, my 'new' 79 frame has a nasty lean.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

thanks. the PO told me it was "bad engineering" that all CJs had, but I was skeptical. I'm new to CJ, previous YJ owner myself. It looked like the springs may be the issue, so I went through with the purchase. the only frame issue, that I dismissed in the heat of the purchase is 1 dimple in front of the rear driver's side spring mount. It is exactly where the brake lines are divided in two with a splitter. I rationalize that the dimple was designed there to give the brake cable splitter clearance. I had no way of knowing for sure. Any one else have this dimple? the top and bottom profile of the frame rail is fine, just dimple on the inside.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.