How many of what components makes a CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How many of what components makes a CJ?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
superkaz661

How many of what components makes a CJ?

Ok, its a weird title, but I couldn't figure out how to ask my question concisely.

I'd like to begin planning a CJ build, hopefully to start in about 12 months.

One of my big questions is, if I buy two jeeps, say a CJ and a donor YJ, when I title the mess of a composite thing, what parts does a DMV usually look at in determining what vehicle it is? Is it the frame? The motor? The body??

Im in VA, but if someone has an idea for their jurisdiction not being VA, I'd like to hear that as well.

Thanks all.

superkaz661 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I have a 1984 CJ and swapped in a 1993 4.0 motor. The DMV goes by the VIN number so they registered the 1984 Jeep. In case you don't know where your VIN plates are, one is riveted to the wiper motor cover, one is riveted to the firewall in the engine compartment near the brake booster and the last one is on the inside lip of the tub next to the driver's seat.

Good luck on your build. I just went through all that insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.

Last edited by CopperCJ7; 03-07-2009 at 05:52 AM..
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

My son's '88 YJ started out simple, now it's a YJ, TJ, XJ, CJ & J Truck! Go figure! It's registered as an '88 YJ, but due to California Smog, it is a 2002 because of the engine OBDII. The axels are Dana 44 J Truck and the hood and grill are CJ7, but that doesn't matter to the state. The only thing that matters is the original title and in Kalifornia the SMOG issue.
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
RockScar
1984 CJ7 

I think alot of states will use the frame as the base, others will make a judgement on percentages. I want to ask though, Who fing cares???? (asking to the state)
Unread 03-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
mssldn

My father-in-law swapped out his rusty tub and windshield frame on his 77 with a tub and windshield from an 83. He left the 77 VIN plates on the old tub and windshield when he scrapped it. When my wife and I got the Jeep I decided I would get the title straightened out. It was a long process, but Idaho ended up giving me a title with both VIN numbers. So I had a 1977/83 CJ7.
mssldn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
superkaz661

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockScar View Post
I want to ask though, Who fing cares???? (asking to the state)
Its a great question isn't it?

One of the main reasons I am interested in keeping it a "CJ", besides the coolness factor is uber cheap insurance. Since This will be a toy for me as opposed to a daily driver (actually a second toy...Im hoping to have my build of a 71 MG midget done by the end of the summer) I just can't bring myself to pay $1,200ish a year in insurance. If its titled as a car that is 25 years or over, I can get classic car insurance. The driving is limited to under 5k a year, but its under $200 a year as well, so for me thats a fair tradeoff.

I think I've heard the frame is the most important, but if they go by VIN, wouldn't it be the tub? I wonder if I kept the CJ frame, swapped for a YJ tub and moved the VIN platefrom the CJ to the YJ if I'd get in trouble
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

VA will go by the VIN# that is on whichever title you use. I would try to stay with the CJ stuff for the Antique Tags/Title.. one time permanent fee and you're good to go. You'll have to sign an affidavit stating that you have a "regular" daily driver as the Antique Vehicle cannot be used to commute to work.

My 80 CJ5 has Antique Tags on it and I've never been stopped by the law for anything... even with Lime Green paint, 4" lift and 33" swampers sticking out of the fenders about 5".

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
superkaz661

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I've never been stopped by the law for anything... even with Lime Green paint, 4" lift and 33" swampers sticking out of the fenders about 5".
Sweeeet.

Ideally, mine would look as close to Fatman's as possible (man that thing is pretty) so its nice to know that you haven't bee stopped. I would otherwise think that might be a problem

And of course I will have to check with the DMV, but it sounds like all I have to do is buy some form of titled CJ7 and I should be good to go

ps.. I was just in (or very near) your neck of the woods last week. Though I have to say, I hope I never have to go back (at least for why I was there....VA bar...two days of sheer pain )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.