How many speeds on a dana 20 transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How many speeds on a dana 20 transfer case?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-06-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

How many speeds on a dana 20 transfer case?

Does the dana 20 only have 2hi and 4hi or is there a 4hi and 4lo? THis past weekend i was messing with the handle trying to find all the settings or gears and i could get it in 2hi and 4 wheel but i fihgured like most others there must be a 4 lo and i messeed and messed and ended up breaking a bolt in the linkage. SO is 2 hi and 4 hi all the dane 20 has?

jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
CSP

Yes there is a 4 low.

Shifting pattern:

4HI
2HI
Neutral
4LO

Sometimes with many Dana 20's the linkage can be worn to the point where you can actually engage 2LO between neutral and 4LO. If you don't like that you can add AN washers to the pins that hold the linkage together and remove the slop that allows this. Personally I like it in mine until I forget to slide it all the way back into 4LO when I really need it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

D20's have a four low. Try pumping the cluch while attempting to shift. Sometimes the gears won't line up making it impossable to shift. It is possable that the shift rail is bent or the fork has come loose. You might have to drop the inspection cover and eyeball the rail to see if it is moving.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
jeepin cj-5

Thanks for the help. I ended up finding it> The problem was that my shift handle was getting caught up in the mount so i wasnt able to shift to nuetral or 4lo.
jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.