Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What type of Oil Gauge do you have?

• I have mechanical because each 1/2 lbs is important

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • I have electrical because as long as the needle moves, I'm happy.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I don't have an Oil Gauge and I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an Oil Temperature gauge

Votes: 1 2.4%

How many have gone over to Mechanical Oil pressure gauges?

13K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  John Strenk 
#1 ·
What did you do with your old electric gauges?

I ask because there seems to be a problem with resistances and sizes of oil pressure gauges.

But I only have one set of each and need a bigger sample size to experiment with. Seems like AMC may have pulled a switcheroo on us.
Can't even trust the FSM right now...

So if you upgraded to a mechanical oil pressure gauge and and don't need your old Electric gauge. I would like to have it even if it doesn't work. I'll be glad to help with shipping also.

Let me know what year it came out of.

#4 ·
I have the stock electrical gauge but dont trust it. I plan on upgrading to a mechanical sometime in the not too distant future.

#5 ·
John I use a mechanical gauge since they are easier to install and they are relatively accurate. My opinion on the electric gauges, a good high end sending unit and gauge will beat a mechanical one hands down. The span and repeatably accuracy is far superior than a mechanical gauge however the offerings in the automotive world are lacking the quality so I go with the mechanical.

#7 ·
John,
I've got two electric gauges that I'm not using as well as two different sending units. I believe both sending units are after market, both gauges are original. I switched to a mechanical gauge because I couldn't get the electric ones working despite many many hours of troubleshooting. I don't like the idea of having an oil tube running through my firewall and under the dash though, so I would like to switch back to the electric if possible.

I'd be happy to photograph, measure, and analyze my gauges and sending units and send you all the stats if that helps. Or, I could send my four items to you for analysis if you were willing to send them back to me afterwards.

#24 ·
Just goes to show us how small our CJ world is getting. I remember waaaay back in the early '90s, parts guys at offroad shops would tell me to go get a CJ and ditch the IH Scout because parts were easier to get.

:tea:

I lke my SW gauges!

Mercury filled bulbs, nylon tube and real wires!

#22 ·
I do not believe so, I am the third owner, the second owner purchased it off a used car lot. I have no build sheet. It does have graphics over the hood and along the side. My gut feeling is it is not.

#25 ·
As far as I know, this is the gauge used on all CJ's from 1981-86 model years.

The parts manual for 1981-86 list the oil pressure gauges as being:
#J5750279 Gas Engine (0-100lb)
#J5764215 Diesel Engine (0-5.4 Bars) or (0-80psi)
#J5764214 no engine listed (0-7.0 Bars) or (0-103psi)

Only one Sending Unit is listed for all AMC engines 4,6 and 8 cylinder:
#J3212004

GM Four Cylinder
#J3241716

#30 ·
Both of my CJ5's are from 1980. One has a 258 from '78, the other has a 232 from '78. I have no reason to suspect that the gauges were changed, they are both old and most likely original.

My oil pressure gauges look like Keith460's.

I - S = 81.7 ohms
I - GND = 151.4 ohms
S - GND = 97.2 ohms
node - GND = 82.6 ohms
node - S = 14.8 ohms
node - I = 67.1 ohms

#31 ·
Oh yeah, both of my sending units measure open. The screw stud to the housing should give me a resistance measurement of some type, right?

Code:
0   PSI    234-246 ohms
20 PSI    149-157 ohms
40 PSI    100.5-105.5 ohms
60 PSI    65-69 ohms
80 PSI    32.5-34.5 ohms
I guess I know where the problem with my electric oil pressure gauge was...
:brickwall

#32 ·
Egulaye,
That is a Zener diode you have listed as 82.5 ohms. which means the resistor and Zener locks in the voltage feeding the winding so any change in supply voltage will have no effect on the gauge.

Also a page from the 84 FSM:

That's not the back of the gauge Keith shows
That's the back of the 2" deep gauge...

But here is the picture of the gauge from the PART manual 84-86

Clearly the 1" Gauge.

Which look like the ones Kieth is using...!!!! **###%%##$@@(**
See my dilemma?

So what gives???

#34 ·
Egulaye,
That is a Zener diode you have listed as 82.5 ohms. which means the resistor and Zener locks in the voltage feeding the winding so any change in supply voltage will have no effect on the gauge.
John, when I used the diode function on my meter the reading was 0.07 ??? And the resistance value I put down was measured across the diode with either polarity. What's the breakdown voltage? I originally drew it as a diode, figuring it did what you describe, but measuring it w/ the DMM it just looks like a resistor.

So, in 1980 it was a 1" deep gauge, with a center stud for the ground connection (not present in your diagram from '84) and the two side by side studs for +12V and Signal reference.

Is it really possible that both pressure transducers I had were bad and that the new one I bought at NAPA was defective? What did I do wrong? (I don't really want to hijack your thread, but this bugged me for a long while before I bought the mechanical gauge)

Thanks John,
Dave

#45 ·
Thanks John, very helpful.

Basically, I should have read that old thread first, to see what got you to this point. ;)

Now I want to re-read this entire thread to figure out what you're really asking for. Did I already send you enough info on my two sets of '80 gauges?

I took the NAPA #OP6622 sender apart and see how it works now. Ah HA! And the "open" circuit at 0 psig is perfectly normal. Though personally I would prefer to set it to have resistance at 0 and lose a tiny bit of top end. My old 232 has so little oil pressure at idle that sometimes I wonder if there is any oil left in the block...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.