How long will it take me? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How long will it take me?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
JennetteJeep7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How long will it take me?

I am planning on redoing my 1984 cj7. i want to take the body off and keep it as a rolling chassis. all i am planning to do is grind the rust off the frame and repaint it so that it hopefully will not rust. and grind and paint any other major metal structures on the frame, then put the body back on. how long will it take me?

JennetteJeep7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
neals80
1980 CJ7 

until the money runs out,,,,only kidding,,,,you have a few weekends if work,,if steady and no cash flow issues and help from some friends....video what you can and mark every little detail..good luck post the pics

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

It'll take as long as it takes you with pit stops along the way to fix other stuff that you find...it's kinda like opening Pandora's Box. HackFab (he's on here sometimes) refers to it as MAW's (Might As Wells).
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

A yr or 2
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennetteJeep7 View Post
How long will it take me?
Forever plus two days.
Take lots of notes, pictures, and bag everything.

Click the yellow link in my sig ... "reassembly" that thread began ONE year after I started the frame off.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

I would suggest buying everything up that you know it needs and having it sitting there when you start. That way you will be driven to get it all off and back on, and that way there is no wait inbetween. This way everything is fresh on your mind. my.02... I am one of the few people that can just say this is what I set to do, and just do the minimal. hehe
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
TRex

1979 CJ7 

I did the same thing with my 79 CJ7. When planning my project, the best advice that was given to me by CertifiableJeep and that was this:

"It will take 2X as long as you think, cost 3X as much and take up 4X as much space.... you don't even want to know what the 5X and 6X are... but it relates to money either way"

I laughed at first and now I know it to be true. I've averaged about $3500 (including the price of the Jeep) a month for the past 4 months if that gives you any idea of the financial impact. an I've got at least another month to go.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
JennetteJeep7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow thats a lot to take in. lol im hoping ot have most of the parts here before i start, and im really crossing my fingers that i dont find ant surprises when i get under there. i have lots planned and will take twice as many pics for everyone to see.
JennetteJeep7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

I did just what you are looking to do. Started in December 2009 and the rig is being painted as we speak. Should be compete in a couple weeks. Did most of the work on weekends, averaged about 10 hrs/week. Budget was around $1500, but I am somewhere near $2500-3000. Stopped counting. The MAW's will kill your budget FAST!
Unread 04-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i know mine took about 2 weeks. I wound up needing quite a few new parts along the way and still its not perfect (tank fill lines dont line up etc) but its drivable.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennetteJeep7 View Post
...how long will it take me?
Asking that is like asking how long it'll take to lose 50 pounds....

Conservatively (working eight hours max a day):

One day to remove body

One day to pressure wash, let dry, and start grinding/wire brushing/blasting

One day to finish up grinding/wire brushing/blasting (wear eye protection or factor in another day spent at the ER having the doc's pick steel out of your orbs)

One day to paint (POR-15 + top coat - wear old/disposable clothing and cover your hair)

One (or more) day(s) runnng around finding hardware/parts (that you've either broken or lost) and/or surfin' the net for it

Two days (or more) to reassemble, depending on how much repair, cleanup, and paint work you plan on doing to the rest of the CJ. Depending on what MAW's you've decided on.

EDIT:
Add One/two days to trouble shoot all the problems that will crop up after it's all back together

This is estimated for working by yourself, or having an occassional 'helper'. I would limit the number of 'helpers', unless they are familiar with CJ's, because you'll spend more time keeping an eye on them than you will working. Also, 'Helpers' tend to dissipate the longer a project takes.

To be honest, it'll be a rare situation if everything goes 'like clockwork'. Tearing down this 30 year old junk is a crap shoot at best, you are blessed IF you don't break something in the process. In that situation, Hack's Law will prevail: The parts broken the easiest, will be the most difficult, time consuming, and/or expensive to replace.

Good Luck.

Last edited by HackFabrication; 04-30-2010 at 05:29 AM..
HackFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

I had the same idea as you.. just take the body off to clean up underneath and put it right back on. HAHA.

Turned out I ended up taking literally ever bolt, screw, and connector of that Jeep apart. That was in August of 2007. Now the frame is done.. engine totally rebuilt.. axles done.. power disc brake front / rear conversion, trussed one piece axle in the rear.. etc.

I just got the body back from the media blasters and it's on to that phase of the rebuild.

Basically I thought I'd have the thing back together in a few months and now I'm going on 3 years!
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
... Hack's Law will prevail: The parts broken the easiest, will be the most difficult, time consuming, and/or expensive to replace.

Good Luck.
Figure that Hack law and Murphy's Law will be working hand in hand. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong at the most inopportune time, etc....
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.