how long does my exhaust have to be - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > how long does my exhaust have to be

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
sphippler
1976 CJ7 

how long does my exhaust have to be

How long does my exhaust have to be. Im not talking about legal or safety reasons. Im talking about performance and not damaging the engine. I have a 304 with 2.25" dia pipe and no muffler or catalytic converter. I've heard that if the pipe is too short that it can damage the engine.

sphippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
LMontycj2a

1946 CJ2A 

On a Chevy 350 I used to have, I had headers, mufflers, and 6 inch turn down pipe. I drove it like that for 5 years. I never had a problem with it.
1968 C-101 (Jeepster)
LMontycj2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphippler View Post
How long does my exhaust have to be. Im not talking about legal or safety reasons. Im talking about performance and not damaging the engine. I have a 304 with 2.25" dia pipe and no muffler or catalytic converter. I've heard that if the pipe is too short that it can damage the engine.
Theoretically, the exhaust manifold should be long enough to prevent damage (the "damage" you've heard about would be cool ambient air getting sucked back in between exhaust gas pulses, which would warp exhaust valves rather rapidly.)

Since you've got a V8, I'd go so far as to run back to a cross-over pipe (helps with scavenging, since each bank can assist the other,) and then install a spark arrestor on the ends of the pipes (I'm assuming you're off-road only, from what you've said?)

There would be no harm in installing a cat on each pipe - something from Random Technologies, perhaps - as it would show "environmental consciousness" and (hopefully) make a couple of greenies' heads explode! However, even with the cat, you'd still need to install a spark arrestor on the after end - but that may simply be moved from cat to cat, if/when they plug up.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

be sure it's long enough to keep the exhaust fumes out of the vehicle.

if you have kids, dogs, buddies, riding in the back, you do not want fumes coming back into the back seat area.

maybe if you turned the ends out

all I know in my old jeep that sits in the barn with no top, each time I take off down the road, dust, dirt, paper, what ever all flies out then comes back and hits me or the wind shield then makes the circle once more before flying out.

fumes would do the same I guess

my old jeep the exhaust come out the back on the drivers side, pipe sticks out about 2" past the body,
have never smelled any exhaust fumes.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.