How long does a clutch change take on average? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How long does a clutch change take on average?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
DannibusX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How long does a clutch change take on average?

For me, it's been nearly two years. Distraction after distraction has kept me from getting my clutch and transmission back in.

The bad things about the length of time I have let lapse:

No Jeepin'!
I forgot how a lot of the linkages go together and what bolts go where.

Luckily, I was smart enough to put everything in ziplock bags and clearly label them, so it should be fairly simple to figure it out.

Transmission and transfer case go in tomorrow, get their fluids changed. I'm not going to say that I'll have it running and driving tomorrow, but I hope that will happen this week.

Funny story that got me back under my Jeep is that I finally got enough money to put into the rear end of my pickup to take some crap to the dump, so it's in the shop as we speak. My roommate tells me he enlisted in the Army and he needed some money to pay off a fine, then offers me his '03 TJ for a grand. I'd have been an idiot to pass it up so I bought it. Now I have far too many vehicles for my own good and have to sell something. I was thinking of offing my CJ, but now I think I'll axe the truck.

I love my Jeep too damn much.

Coming soon: Exhaust, Wheels and Tires, Axle Gearing.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Go3Win8
1979 CJ5 

I changed the clutch in my cj5, total time probably 5 or 6 hours. I spread that over a few days. I had to have the flywheel re-surfaced, took a day for that. Make sure all of your new parts are what you need before you put it back together. The pilot bushing that came in my kit was not the correct one. It was too small for the input shaft on the transmission. Probably lost an hour or so messing with that. Experience is the greatest teacher.
Ronnie
Go3Win8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Yes... make sure you have all the parts. I went to do mine, the kit had everything in it except the plastic alignment tool. Napa had to send back the whole kit as faulty, two days later I put it in.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I last did mine in the driveway in an ice storm. A couple other Jeepers showed up at 6:00 AM after I got off work and we used a handy shade tree for a hand winch to pull the engine out to do the clutch from the front. We were done before lunch.

Make sure you get the correct fluids in your T5 and Dana 300, they don't take the same stuff. Well, they 'can' both take the same stuff but.

The T5 needs a GL3 or GL4 rated gear oil so the syncros don't get harmed which is hard to find. The Dana 300 has no syncros so it can use the more common GL5 rated fluid, same as the differentials use.

Napa sells this gear oil that works: SAE 85w90 Gear Oil GL4 (also meets GL3), Part #SL24239.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
shok47
1983 CJ7 

I spanned mine out into about 4 days. This included opening the t4 and d300 for inspection and flushing out both of them before installing and resurfacing the flywheel. The alignment of the clutch with the tool was the hard part. I put it on a little off center and I had to re bolt the flywheel back on about 3 times to get it straight. Good thing I tested it before installing the t4 and d300!
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
DannibusX
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips everyone, and Mike, thanks for the P/N! I knew that the T5 needed a different type of gear oil and was worried I wouldn't be able to find it.

Coming soon: Exhaust, Wheels and Tires, Axle Gearing.
DannibusX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Did my clutch during my motor swap. That was a 20 hour marathon job including oil pan gaskets, rear main seal, changing trans and tcase, and a few LONG food breaks and parts runs.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
twmattox

For me, the longest part is the machine shop time. Getting the flywheel surfaced and a new ring gear on takes the shop about 2-days...

Last one I did was in the back yard in the middle of winter. Snow piled up around 3 sides to keep the wind out, warm carharts, and a blanket to lay on...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

3 hours..... don't have pictures of the CJ clutch job, but this is the tranny swap I did in the 75 K10... I LOVE MY SHOP!!!!!
0818081625.jpg  

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.