How I made my Jeep more awesome - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How I made my Jeep more awesome

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 11-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #31
rdoobens
1980 CJ5 

This is a cool project. It turned out real nice too.

rdoobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #32
hutch1200
1979 CJ7 

Post your address and I'll burn you a copy of "The very Best of David Hassellhoff". My treat for your hard work. No, don't thank me.
Great stuff, and thanx for sharing. I'll have a CB. But personally I don't like tunes in CJ and British sportscars. Tin ear and tone deaf.
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp78cj5
I like it. Great job
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratjaw
Superb write-up and outstanding pictures. When its time for sound I now know exactly how to do it. Perhaps this should be a sticky.

Again, good work.
Mark
After seeing the work you do on your jeep, I take this as an enormous compliment!

Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoobens
This is a cool project. It turned out real nice too.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200
Post your address and I'll burn you a copy of "The very Best of David Hassellhoff". My treat for your hard work. No, don't thank me.
Great stuff, and thanx for sharing. I'll have a CB. But personally I don't like tunes in CJ and British sportscars. Tin ear and tone deaf.
Haha! That would complete my hassellhoff collection!! JK

I know what you mean, shoot I can only hear em at speeds below 40 MPH, after that, they get road noised. But they are perfect for wheelin and cruisin
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Now that's about the best speaker brainstorm i've ever seen.Seen all those in books with big price tags but yours beats them all to H---.Showed the wife,she said thanx for the idea and told me the hardware store was only a block away.Good Job and write-up
Unread 11-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #35
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Great write up and really nice final product. Took me a minute to figure out your anti theft design but that is pretty clever.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

The work looks good. I wish I could hear them. My favorite part is how you did the exhaust clamps.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #37
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Thanks a bunch guys

The exhaust clamp idea came from my fire extinguisher mount. It may be visible in one of the pics. I couldn't find a "decent" mount anywhere, so I had to get creative.

I should explain the antitheft system a little better perhaps:

The tube with the 5/8" holes fits over the exhaust clamp nuts so they can't be reached with a wrench. The barrel nut is a fake in that it slides over the 1/4" mounting bolt freely. The nut that holds the speaker on is inside the speaker box. And that nut cannot be reached because the speaker is covering it. And the speaker is held on by two hole style spanner screws (tamper resistant). So unless somebody has that spanner driver on hand, they will have to literally rip the boxes off the roll bar!
Unread 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #38
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I've made an update to the speakers. I found they were a bit wiggly on big bumps with those barrel nut standoffs. So I got shorter spacers. My other problem was the metal on metal contact of the clamp rattled a bit too. It was more like a metal pop sound when it got to really wiggling. So here's my fixes.

image-844300587.jpg

You can see the wore off paint from it dancing around. This is the antitheft tube.

image-1237131230.jpg

Lay some insulating foam tape over the mating surface

image-3235004372.jpg

It doesn't have to be all that thick

image-3335171565.jpg

Cut out the holes for the u bolt nits

image-3086093734.jpg

You can also see the wore off paint where the barrel nut sat on the tube.

image-757933014.jpg

New standoff spacer between clamp and box. You can barely see the foam tape peeking out

image-1149188007.jpg

I had to remove the outer bits on the first tube, so I only laid the middle on the next tube.

image-2639019631.jpg

Here's the other side finished. This shot also shows the screws I used to keep the speakers safe.

I'll head out for a drive in a bit and see how much better it works.
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #39
TOBYWON
1984 CJ7 

I was in another old thread of mine that you'd posted in, D, and clicked on this link in your sig. Man! What a freaking righteous mod and write-up! Months after-the-fact, I'm thinking this is easily in my top ten DIYs I've seen on this site. Really, really nice job! I will be adjusting this for my rig some day.

/l , [____],
l---L--OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)----)_)

{{{84' CJ7 RENEGADE / 258 I6 / Nuttered, HEI Dizzy, MC2150 (eBay) w/Manual Choke, MSD 6AL Ignition, Engine Totally Rebuilt in 2010}}}
TOBYWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBYWON
I was in another old thread of mine that you'd posted in, D, and clicked on this link in your sig. Man! What a freaking righteous mod and write-up! Months after-the-fact, I'm thinking this is easily in my top ten DIYs I've seen on this site. Really, really nice job! I will be adjusting this for my rig some day.
Thank you very much for the compliment! I'm glad you like both the project and the writeup
Unread 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
kellyt_hut
1981 CJ8 

Nice!
kellyt_hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 04:08 AM   #42
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Awesome thinking and production. I did almost the same thing for mine. I used Polk marine speakers in ammo cans for the security, weatherproof, and look to go along with my Army theme. I also used the same spanner screws! Great minds think alike! The boxes are all bolted from underneath the body with carriage bolts (no head to grab) and have the same bar going across the inside bottom of the can with the bolts going through. Cans are tack welded shut so no getting inside.

image-4093102671.jpg

The fronts I used the retail box but same bolting security

image-1781263336.jpg

The fronts are 5.25 and the tears are 6.5. The sub is a 10" also Polk marine grade and in a MDF box which I covered in fiberglass an rolled with bed liner. You can see the added angle iron for security and it is bolted same style to both the angle iron and wheel well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4093102671.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	551032

Hope I didn't invade on your thread. Kind of feels like it. I just get excited over seeing someone thinking along the same lines. And your title is perfect, it does make it more awesome!
image-1273313073.jpg   image-3227509729.jpg   image-2003990071.jpg   image-967527522.jpg  
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #43
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyt_hut
Nice!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs
Awesome thinking and production. I did almost the same thing for mine. I used Polk marine speakers in ammo cans for the security, weatherproof, and look to go along with my Army theme. I also used the same spanner screws! Great minds think alike! The boxes are all bolted from underneath the body with carriage bolts (no head to grab) and have the same bar going across the inside bottom of the can with the bolts going through. Cans are tack welded shut so no getting inside.

The fronts I used the retail box but same bolting security

The fronts are 5.25 and the tears are 6.5. The sub is a 10" also Polk marine grade and in a MDF box which I covered in fiberglass an rolled with bed liner. You can see the added angle iron for security and it is bolted same style to both the angle iron and wheel well.

Hope I didn't invade on your thread. Kind of feels like it. I just get excited over seeing someone thinking along the same lines. And your title is perfect, it does make it more awesome!
No invasion at all. This thread has been dead for 5 or 6 months, so it's pretty cool to see it return from the grave and roll a bit.

Your ideas and theft proof designs are awesome! Ammo cans and jeeps are built to be together! very nice work man!
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #44
Galt
1983 CJ7 

Pretty good for homemade. Kind of a take on Bazooka's tubbies.http://www.bazooka.com/products/mari...e-Tubbies-P138
How are your homemade ones holding up?
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #45
75*CJ

[QUOTE=vinnyabs;14855256]Awesome thinking and production. I did almost the same thing for mine. I used Polk marine speakers in ammo cans for the security, weatherproof, and look to go along with my Army theme. I also used the same spanner screws! Great minds think alike! The boxes are all bolted from underneath the body with carriage bolts (no head to grab) and have the same bar going across the inside bottom of the can with the bolts going through. Cans are tack welded shut so no getting inside.

Same ammo cans I have in mine.

I really like this write up though. If I'd seen this first, I'd have gone this way. Love it.
75*CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.