How HOT is TOO HOT? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How HOT is TOO HOT?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #31
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Wound the timing up to 7 degrees with no pinging, going to see what, if any impact this'll have

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #32
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Post #25 in this link has a good side by side comparison of my stock gauge vs. aftermarket gauge positions for my 401 CJ. Yours may be slightly different but it's a good reference.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ru...36/index2.html
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #33
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

That's a great build thread Marine, keep it up!

"Join the Marines, travel to exotic distant lands, meet interesting stimulating people.... and kill them"
corporal-back-84.jpg

Unread 08-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #34
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

210 is perfect. It's hot enough to boil any moisture out of the oil and the rings and pistons are fully expanded and providing a better seal which helps prevent fuel from contaminating the oil.

210= longer engine life.

I've always considered up to 230 "Normal". Start watching it closer @ 235 and @ 240 find a way to get it into the wind to cool it off.

Your cast iron block and heads can take 250 for a short duration w/o any problems.

As already said the thermostat only determines the minimun operating temp. Once the stat is open it has no bearing on upper temps. Thats controlled by the condition of the rest of the cooling system.
chris142 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #35
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I agree for late model engines higher operating temperatures are nesessary, but my 360 is a '78 or earlier.
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #36
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
I agree for late model engines higher operating temperatures are nesessary, but my 360 is a '78 or earlier.
Cars and trucks were using a 195* Thermostat back into the late 60's. The problem now is the fuel. It's designed for F.I. systems with 40+ psi of rail pressure.

Todays fuel tends to perculate or boil around 220F with a low pressure carbureated system.
chris142 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
agear
1984 CJ7 

In my cj7 with a 258. I put like a 195 degree thermostat in there so I can get some heat and keep it in the winter. It's running right now in august at 205.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #38
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I'd be happy at a top end of 205 but on the hottest days the swing to 220 has me concerned. I'm just getting relays together for that Mystique fan but having trouble finding this 70 amp relay mentioned by Rollbar.

He says it's from a Harley bike but all the relays I've seen are 5 lug for post 1979 changeover bikes. Anyone got a part number on these?
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #39
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

You could also consider a high-flow thermostat. It doesn't really matter how good your radiator, fans, etc. work, if you need more water flow than that little hole provides, the heat's going to creep up on you.

Edit: I agree completely with more timing. Lazy timing curves dump an enormous amount of heat into the exhaust ports and cooling system.
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #40
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for your response swatson, as it happens what with that flowkooler pump I know it's flowing enough coolant. One day last year I was woring on something unrelated and was blipping the foot throttle and happened to peer into the engine compartment. I noticed with each increase (blip of the throttle) the upper radiator hose would collapse. This was a recent (less than 6 months old) Gates hose. So I twisted up a metal (no paint) coathanger around some tubing I had in my garage and that took care of that. Since this time I've checked for flow of coolant with the radiator cap off and there is definitely good flow!
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #41
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Well got that relay in as promised from a local shop that ordered it in for me and it looks like the 70/80 amp pictured but the shop favors Carquest and this was made in China.
I've (as many others have had) issues with made in China automotive parts before. On the other hand this is only a relay. I'm thinking either it will work or it won't, being electrical. I'm certain there's bound to be holes in this idiom but given this consumer desert I live and work in, it's the best there is available locally. I'm not going to start the well known rant about the internet shopping being the bane of local shops but in this area it's had it's full effect.
Going on the hunt for a pigtail for this relay today and if all fails I may go with a Hella unit I found yesterday on Amazon, much as I hate to do it.

!FOUND!
Hella part nos.
70/80 amp relay: H41510141 ~or~ 003510517
Harness Connector: H84703001

and they're coming from as nearby as............Georgia!
Unread 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #42
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

......and most recently found and got the 0.375/9.5mm terminals;
Yippeee! Got a box of 'em in and the ARE the right ones/size!

...and I have more faith in Czech manufacture than that of China. Also as I've promised on more than a couple forums if anyone else is building these relay sockets drop me a line and I'll mail you enough of these to get your fan project going on this 70/80 amp relay!
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #43
tevans59

1979 CJ7 

I have the same set up as Lucdog and does runs about the same temp, I tried the elecric fan and it did not cool it like it should and rose up to the 200+ mark, so I removed it and placed it in front and made it a pusher for the just in case I need extra air movement.... call some one like Jegs and they will tell you what you need.
tevans59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
210 is perfect. It's hot enough to boil any moisture out of the oil and the rings and pistons are fully expanded and providing a better seal which helps prevent fuel from contaminating the oil.

210= longer engine life.

I've always considered up to 230 "Normal". Start watching it closer @ 235 and @ 240 find a way to get it into the wind to cool it off.

Your cast iron block and heads can take 250 for a short duration w/o any problems.

As already said the thermostat only determines the minimun operating temp. Once the stat is open it has no bearing on upper temps. Thats controlled by the condition of the rest of the cooling system.
Another element that I'm concerned with is thermal degradation of the motor oil at these temps.

These are several references and I know opinions are like biological grommets~everybody's got one, but here's one page of many I ran across;

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/.../oil-breakdown

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.