How hard is radio install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How hard is radio install?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-04-2002, 04:27 PM   #1
NMullens

How hard is radio install?

I have a radio left over from my Nissan that I want to put in the Jeep. I'm not worried about cutting to make it fit but want to know how involved the wiring would be? Anyone done this? Thanks.

Unread 11-04-2002, 04:37 PM   #2
onesojourner

putting the stereo should be an easy task. most factory units i see have some sort of chart that tells you what the wires coming out of the back are supposed to go to. you jjust need to sodor the wires you want connected up and you will be good to go. im about to put a honda stereo in mine.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2002, 05:54 PM   #3
Jami
1973 CJ6 

It should be really simple. All of the radios have pretty standard wiring. There will be an ignition power(red),ground(black), power to battery for memory(orange or yellow), power antennae(blue, can also be used for an amps remote input), and then you speaker wires(usually various striped colors). These colors can vary but this is what I have noticed in the past. HTH and good luck
Unread 11-05-2002, 04:33 AM   #4
cj5goliath
1980 CJ5 

I wouldn't use the antenna remote to run the amp...because the amp would only turn on when you are listening to AM/FM. Your best bet would be to run a hot wire from your stereo (hook into the RED side) back to your REMOTE on the amp. Do not run this wire from the yellow side of your stereo...because this wire stays hot all the time. You don't want to leave for a day or two and come home to a dead battery. Also, if you are going to use amplifiers with your stereo, and your stereo does not have RCA outputs....go to Wal-Mart or Radio Shack and get a couple of line levelers....you can get for roughly $10/each. These are little boxes that have speaker wire inputs and RCA outputs. You hook up the speaker outs from the stereo to one side of the line leveler....the box reduces the voltage way down....then comes out into RCA's. After you get the leveler wired in, you simply take a screwdriver and turn it all the way down....then with the stereo on and the volume turned up high...start turning the leveler up until it distorts....then back off a little until the distortion quits. These work great....even the cheap ones....and they give you a lot more options as far as hooking up amplifiers.

pictures of line leveler.

http://www.cranked-up.com
cj5goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
CJ-7_Kid

I was an installer for Circuit City for 2 years so I can help you out.

First, is the radio from the Nissan a stock Nissan radio?
If so was it the premium sound stereo (which means factory amped) if it was a premium then you are in a wolrd of trouble!!!

I am assuming it's a stock Nissan radio. You don't need to solder the wires to the back of the radio the make what is called a reverse harness that will plug right into the stock radio (not the harness you would buy if installing a new radio in a car. Make sure you ask for the reverse harness.

Like what was said before the radio should have the schematic on the top or bottom of the radio. So you just meter the wires in the Jeep for a Switched power and Constant (located in the Steering column), a good ground (anywhere basically unless it's a fiberglass tub) and you speaker wires which should be easy to locate.

Hope this helps. PM if you have trouble installing and I will try to walk you through it a little bit more in detail.
CJ-7_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 11:13 AM   #6
CJ-7_Kid

Quote:
Originally posted by Jami
It should be really simple. All of the radios have pretty standard wiring. There will be an ignition power(red),ground(black), power to battery for memory(orange or yellow), power antennae(blue, can also be used for an amps remote input), and then you speaker wires(usually various striped colors). These colors can vary but this is what I have noticed in the past. HTH and good luck

This is more for a color code of aftermarket radios then factory. Factory wires vary from manufacture.
CJ-7_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.