How hard is a disc brake conversion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How hard is a disc brake conversion?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
imtheant

How hard is a disc brake conversion?

Looking to flip my 83' CJ7 from drum to disc brakes in the front. Is this a weekend, fairly easy project or should I expect a lot more in the way of problems. Any pointers ?

Unread 04-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
PrimerFJ40

Depends! What axles, have you ever pulled your axle shafts before, do you have experience with bleeding brake systems and are you changing master cylinder, proportioning valve etc.
I did one on a Dana 44 out of a scout and the biggest problem I had was getting the hydroboost system I installed at the same time, dialed in. The actual install of the brackets, rotors and calipers is pretty straight forward. I had to grind down some spacers to get the calipers to run true over the rotors. I have heard some guys having a hard time getting the cadillac calipers to bleed properly, but I did not run into that problem, fortunately.
PrimerFJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
dcarlton

Had a rather hard time with mine (76 CJ7). I even used a whole axle form another CJ, so all I had to bolt on were the outers, mc/booster and new P valve.

After new brake lines and wheels (since the discs were too big for the old ones), I had to bleed the system 5 times, and there is still air in the lines.

Very frustrating. If it is your daily driver, it will be a long weekend getting it back together.
dcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
imtheant

yeah, i figured it wasnt a quick and easy conversion. how bout just adding one of the brake boosters to my drums instead? is that a easier solution? i'm getting ready to go from 32" to 35" and i'm a little worried in the braking department.
Unread 04-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
jlynch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a stock model 30 jeep axle it is a very easy upgrade. You need the steering knuckles and all the outers off a model 30 disk brake axle.
Unread 04-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
CJ51973
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your Jeep should have had discs stock. Before you decide on how you need to figure out what has been swapped in. If its a drum 30 from like 72-77 then Chevy truck parts will work without swapping knuckles. Is it narrow track? Six bolt lock outs? If it still has the stock MC you shouldn't have to do anything there. Does it still have the proportioning valve?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.