How to go about welding frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to go about welding frame

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering Stabilizer Brackets...

Unread 05-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Tfain
1978 CJ5 

How to go about welding frame

I'm looking for some advice on how I should go about welding my frame. As you can see the PO just put some sheet metal there and bolted it on. I want to get it fixed right. Just wondering how I should go about it. The PO obviously didn't own a welder cause he also cut out all the body rust and just riveted sheet metal in its place

Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Tfain
1978 CJ5 

Sorry forgot to add pictures
image-3509623522.jpg

image-423570832.jpg

image-307187892.jpg

Unread 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
shum8
1980 CJ7 

These aren't cheap, will only prolong the inevitable - they will reinforce the rear frame section enough to be safe, but the same cancer that's eating your frame will get around to these as well.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...=56011+9001+07

I was going to go this route till I found a donor frame with no rust for 60 bucks. Let's just say these can be added without a total disassemble............ And I'm sure you will get a hundred ways to proceed.....

Good luck and post your results
shum8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Tfain
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shum8
These aren't cheap, will only prolong the inevitable - they will reinforce the rear frame section enough to be safe, but the same cancer that's eating your frame will get around to these as well. http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...=56011+9001+07 I was going to go this route till I found a donor frame with no rust for 60 bucks. Let's just say these can be added without a total disassemble............ And I'm sure you will get a hundred ways to proceed..... Good luck and post your results
Maybe I could weld some steal plate on the frame and just put that around it for support. I've never seen that before thanks for the info.
Unread 05-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Look before you leap rust does not weld it vaporizes leaving a huge hole.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

The front and rear frame sections can weaken over time I myself just reinforced the front frame section with the m.o.r.e frame kit this past winter due to stress and the po trying to weld it
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

There really is no cheap and easy way to do this. If you do a search on this forum and the web you find plenty of threads and pictures of various methods from mild to wild. Keep in mind the gas tank is right there also. The most common of the "correct" type of repairs is to take the tub off and strip the chassis down to the frame. Then blast/sand/grind your way to clean metal. You can then cut back past the rust, cut patches of similar gauge metal and weld them in.

At that point you can decide what to do about preserving the frame. there are plenty of opinions about that as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/if...build-1016944/

Check out the linked thread post #10 shows my solution. I used scrap 2x3 mild steel cut into a U shape and welded in with a good 110 stick welder, good joint fit up and good preparation. So far so good! You don't need to be a professional welder, but you have got to understand the basics and have some practice.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
Tfain
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyD
There really is no cheap and easy way to do this. If you do a search on this forum and the web you find plenty of threads and pictures of various methods from mild to wild. Keep in mind the gas tank is right there also. The most common of the "correct" type of repairs is to take the tub off and strip the chassis down to the frame. Then blast/sand/grind your way to clean metal. You can then cut back past the rust, cut patches of similar gauge metal and weld them in. At that point you can decide what to do about preserving the frame. there are plenty of opinions about that as well. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/if...build-1016944/ Check out the linked thread post #10 shows my solution. I used scrap 2x3 mild steel cut into a U shape and welded in with a good 110 stick welder, good joint fit up and good preparation. So far so good! You don't need to be a professional welder, but you have got to understand the basics and have some practice.
I'm pretty decent with my 110 mig that's running flux core right now. I have a 220 stick welder but I haven't really messed with it yet. Just got it hooked up yesterday. That's what I would like to use for the frame. I was already planing on removing the gas tank first. I guess if I have to I could pull the tub off. I'd rather get it right the first time and not have to mess with it again
Unread 05-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

The jury is still out on 110 anything getting the job done. I feel like the stick worked best for me because I could control the penetration by slowing down or speeding up and I could use nice big 7018 rods. I would do some mock ups with the same sized metal and then break them in a vice and look to see if the weld penetration is what you need. If the metal cracks through the weld its wrong, If it cracks at the base metal and the weld its wrong. If it cracks the base metal just outside of the weld area it's right and if it doesn't break and just bends it should also be good. also practice welding in the same orientation you will be on the frame IE: uphill or downhill.

You could probably get away with yanking the tank, undoing the body mounts and just jacking the tub up a bit for some room. You can do it with it on but you better be real dang handy.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Clean the frame with a wire wheel and determine how far the rust has gone. It can be cut out and new material welded in, after doing that "fish" plate the area. I've strapped a frame from stem to stern, to and bottom and enclosed open areas in-between on more than one old CJ. Stiffening up the frame and using flexible springs is superior to frame flex.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.