How to get a 258 running smooth with a weber - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to get a 258 running smooth with a weber

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #76
kovic
1983 CJ5 

No power breaks, it only did it in reverse, so something to do with the float bowl? Also when I tested the manifold vac it was at a steady 19.

thanks

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #77
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

That would be my next item to check, float bowl. But it looks like you have already set the float height.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #78
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Yes multiple times....... Originally it was set at 14 mm, I dont think I should have messed with it..... was running good before I started "fixing" things.... This is very frustrating.
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #79
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Is there another carb you could throw on it to eliminate what's on now?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #80
kovic
1983 CJ5 

No
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #81
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a moron, why don't you set the float at 5/8ths and see what happens. Hell, it's only time.

Shawn
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #82
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Not a moron. I will try anything at this point, I can't afford another carb, or injection. Any things I can try I will, right now I feel like I have tried everything.

So I will try to set it to about 16 mm, which I think is 5/8th
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #83
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
Not a moron. I will try anything at this point, I can't afford another carb, or injection. Any things I can try I will, right now I feel like I have tried everything.

So I will try to set it to about 16 mm, which I think is 5/8th
Ok, you've been working on this for almost 10 days. Some of the most knowledgeable members have tried to help you, but there's only so much they can do over the internet.

Surely your time is worth something. At what point does it make financial sense to let a professional fix your CJ? Honest question.

Don't get me wrong, I admire your persistence. But, dang dude....I think you're chasing your tail.

Sorry for the brutal honesty.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #84
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Its all good man, I have taken it to a professional.... You know what they did, nothing to the carb, they charged me like a 100 bucks for a tuneup and said it was good.....it wasn't.

Another time I took it, they told me the next step was to check the compression and possibly rebuild the motor ( which was new)....you know what I did, I rebuilt the carb and that fixed it..... I don't think there is anyone around here that can work on a carb, or do anything different then what I have been doing.

Finance is a huge issue right now..... getting married next month, have bills, rent etc. Really need every penny I can keep right now.

thanks for the honesty, but please, if you can think of anything else I can try that would be great too.
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #85
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ok, well its been at my uncles shop for the last 2 weeks, he has been looking at it between jobs. He said it seems like the carb is too much for the engine. Its getting to much gas, it drips off the venturis, so he thinks there is a leak there. He also put my vacuum at the s port, put the timing to around 4*, and the mixture screw out 1/2 turn, that was the best he could get it under the conditions.

Also my distributor is loose, like you can grab the rotor and wobble the shaft and turn it a ways each direction, so I will get another one of those, and I will also rebuild the carb again and see if that can finally solve the issue.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #86
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Hey guys. I apologize for never really putting a conclusion to this thread. So here is is. My uncle said the carb was giving too much gas, and looking down the throat there is fuel dripping. So I went ahead a rebuilt the carb. Used all the information you guys gave me on this thread and made the adjustments. I also bought new adapter plates and sanded them, greased up to gaskets and put them in so it was 100% solid. I have a vid of it running. This was last June, I just now put on an MSD ignition, idle is about same, but it does seem to accelerate smoother and start faster. Anyways heres the vid, thanks guys.

kov
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #87
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

kovic,

It sounds good!

And thanks for demonstrating how easy it is to check manifold vac pressure. It looks like you have a steady 20" at idle. That's great!

How's she drive?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #88
kovic
1983 CJ5 

She seems to be driving great! The slight blue smoke you may have seen in the vid coming out of the exhaust was burning oil from a a floating valve stem seal, which with the help i got from here I fixed after this vid.

Smooth acceleration and when I hammer it there is almost no hesitation, which it used to really bog it down, not anymore. I mean i cant hammer it from a dead stop, of course, but when i get the rpms slightly up i can hammer it and it seems smooth as butter, loving that. And as evident in the vid the engine doesnt shake enough to tip the ratchet extension, which is a miracle compared to what I used to have.

Thank you so much for all your help. Hey Matt, I did send you a pm regarding a new distributor. Did you see that?

Thanks

kov

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.