How to find out the REAL age of my CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to find out the REAL age of my CJ

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-13-2002, 08:47 AM   #1
Jan Straatman

How to find out the REAL age of my CJ

Is there any way to find out the real age of my Jeep CJ-7, using for example the chassis number?
Is there anyone I can contact to?

Why?

Because I own a ?1980? CJ-7, originally imported from the USA, by the first (Dutch) owners.
That is, the date of issue of the Dutch car registration is1980.
But it appears to be the second car registration, because the first one had got lost someday.
Now I can’t find out the date of issue of the first car registration.
To make it even more complex, the car was already a used car when it was bought in the USA.
So, if I could find it, even the date of issue of the first Dutch car registration will tell me nothing,
This puzzles me, AND I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT AGE MY CAR IS!

 Chassisnummer: JDM93AB728367
 Body: J288839 5-13 OP 6JE
 Motor: GM 10009542 – 4 (the Pontiac 151 inch 4-cilinder)

Please send this mail to anyone who could possibly help me.

Jan Straatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2002, 10:34 AM   #2
Steelhead

Your in luck the 151 cu. in motor was only used in Jeeps from 1980 to 1983 so your has to be a 1980.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Gemelos
1976 CJ7 

Jan,
Chassis nummer is het belangrijkste en is eigelijk de identificatie van uw voertuig.
Alleen deze klopt niet "D" en is volgens mij een "0" en dan heb je het volgende,
J = gemaakt door de Jeep Corporation
0 = modeljaar 1980
M = manueel geschakeld 4 versnellingen
93 = modeltype CJ-7
A = gvw 3750 lbs
B = cilinderinhoud 151 cu
728361 = serienummer

vriendelijke groeten

Gemelos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2002, 03:39 PM   #4
Steelhead

Hey Dirttrack were you have o=modeljaar 1980 theres a D in the vin number. I don't know if this would change any thing just thought I'd bring it to your attension.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2002, 02:52 AM   #5
Jan Straatman

Dirttrack, Steelhead, thanks for your answers – even in Dutch!

Now, I have both #, the JDM as well as the JOM #. How about that?
It says clearly JDM on the chassis (near the drivers seat).
(Er staat toch echt duidelijk JDM (een D met 2 rechte hoeken) in de chassisbalk).
The same JDM VIN # is engraved in the firewall, on the place where the ID-plate was screwed on. You can still see the 2 holes from the screws. This look unusual to me.
(Datzelfde nummer met een D staat ingeslagen op het schutbord, op de plaats waar het ID-plaatje zat vastgeschroefd, te zien aan de twee schroefgaatjes. Niet gebruikelijk, lijkt me.)
This ID-plate is now fixed an inch lower, and has 3 codes. The lowest # is the same as the VIN # on the chassis, but reads JOM instead of JDM !! So Dirttracks story mathes this # and is right after all.
(Dat ID-plaatje zit nu 3 cm lager vastgeschroefd, en daar staan 3 codes op, waarvan de onderste dezelfde is als het chassisnummer, maar dan staat er JOM i.p.v. JDM !! Jouw verhaal sluit daar dus wel precies op aan).
Its looks weird that there is a difference of just one number!
(Ik begrijp niet hoe deze codes slechts 1 nummer kunnen verschillen! Het lijkt wel een vergissing).
Anyway – it’s definitely a 1980.
Unread 05-30-2002, 03:30 AM   #6
Gemelos
1976 CJ7 

In a 13 digit VIN from a CJ-7 the second is always a number, so whene Jan says i'ts an "D" then I thinks the "0" is the closed possible match, and the "0" makes sence the "D" must be a mistake from the dutch carregistration.

geetings,
Dirttrack
1976 CJ-7
1983 CJ-7
1998 TJ
Gemelos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2002, 02:44 AM   #7
Jan Straatman

Dirttrack,
You are right. The number "0" is not typed clearly on my Dutch car registration sheet, and can easily be read as an "D". And that is what happened.
Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.