How far will $3000 take you? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How far will $3000 take you?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
78CJFIVE
1978 CJ5 

How far will $3000 take you?

In about a month I will be returning from Iraq, and I want to finally get some work done on my 5.

I have around $3000 that I can put into it without risking divorce and a bunch of other problems. I'm sure you married folks know how it goes..

The body is decent but needs paint. I'm planning to roll on my paint. There is some rust that needs repaired, but nothing major. I'm thinking I'll bondo/fiberglass it for the time being. I'll roll Herc on the interior. I need tires, and I want to do a 3 inch lift, with the wider YJ springs. Probably only going to run 31" radials...

That's just the basics. My 258 will need rings eventually, but last time I ran it (a year ago) it still had good life.

This is my first build. I know many of you have been through several. Just want to get an idea how far $3000 will take you with a CJ that has a decent body and engine that runs decent. I know it's hard to tell because every Jeep has it's own issues. I'll get some pictures up later, can't get into my photobucket right now..

Thanks

78CJFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
CJuncky
1981 CJ5 

What is the end result you want from your CJ ? Mall Crawler, Moderate Trail Rig , Rock Crawler, Ect. This Should be the first answer you need from yourself. In all cases it needs to be mechanicly sound and dependable
80 CJ7 258/auto/d 44 diffs/ 4" lift/rebuild started 80 CJ7 #2 stock(sold)
82 CJ7 stock DD
CJuncky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a decent crawler, $3,000 will barely get you anywhere. But, I also don't know what type of axles you have, or what you have in em, so I shouldn't say that. If you want a decent/reliable lift (such as pro-comp), that would take almost a $2,600 chunk out of your budget. OR, if you want, you can just go the ol' cheap way and put in body spacers, or go spring over to get about 4" of lift. All depends on what you want buddy.
kyle1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

i would go re lift and do duplicolor paint and get some used 31aoto 33s off line might as well go bigger you will want them later any ways you could do that for 3 grand
crcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Mike78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1228 View Post
If you want a decent crawler, $3,000 will barely get you anywhere. But, I also don't know what type of axles you have, or what you have in em, so I shouldn't say that. If you want a decent/reliable lift (such as pro-comp), that would take almost a $2,600 chunk out of your budget. OR, if you want, you can just go the ol' cheap way and put in body spacers, or go spring over to get about 4" of lift. All depends on what you want buddy.

I agree that 3,000 won't get very far. But 2,600 for a decent lift is extremly high. It might cost close to that if you paid someone to put it on. It would cost more to lift it using YJ springs. But a regular CJ lift kit is only 600-900. And please don't put in a 3" body lift.
Mike78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Supertrucker
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1228 View Post
A decent reliable lift to clear 31's will cost $2600? Dude, let me sell you some parts. A 1" shackle lift would probably clear 31's, or you could keep the original shackles and go with the 2" Trailmaster full length Add-A-Leafs. They run about $120 for the front and rear sets together, add $50 for new Energy Suspension spring eye and shackle bushings. Add in new spring center pins, u-bolts, your still well under $250. This leaves plenty in your budget for the new shocks you need. I understand lots of folks would rather get a 2 1/2" lift kit, and that's OK too. Just remember that, with most kits, you are still going to have to buy new bushings and maybe new shocks too. Whichever way you go, $3,000 should EASILY do what you want, including the new tires. Good luck, and stay safe!
Supertrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
DirtyDevin
1983 CJ7 

I had a 2.5" rough country lift put on mine for $615 parts & labor out the door. I had a 1" Daystar body lift put on for $350. I got 32x11.50 BFG Mud Terrains for $158 per tire and some black steal wheels for about $90 each. So that's about 2 grand in lift wheels and tires and that's all fairly low end stuff. Im not doing much wheeling so the RC lift is fine for me. If you do the YJ springs it will obviously cost more. But if you wanted to get it up and looking good for cheap you can do it. Like the others said, it all depends on what you plan to do with it. Here is a pic of the wheels and tires.

DirtyDevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yah, I guess I over priced that lift a little too much, sorry. My buddy just got a rough country lift for $1,300, but he installed it himself.
kyle1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
WayneMeuir
1980 CJ5 

I am going through this right now on an 80 CJ5. What I advise you to do is check out all the normal wear items and fix them first. Make sure the transfer case, tranny, drive shafts are working correctly. First, replace any worn out stuff like U-Joints, seals, gaskets, cooling system, heater, wiring/electrical stuff, etc. so that it is realiable and usable. Then, with whatever money is left (there may not be any left), go for the improvement stuff you want. It won't do you any good to spend $500 on a lift, $1000 on wheels and tires, etc, etc, only to find out you can't drive it because all the necessary stuff is worn out.
I bought a nice 80 CJ5 cheap knowing that I would probably have to rebuild the 258. T176 and Dana 300 and both axles are in good shape and work great, brakes work good as does the clutch, etc. In two weeks, I have spent $1300 on misc stuff, which is about twice what I thought I would need to spend. New heater blower, new radiator, new rear driveshaft, u-joints etc. and I have not even gotten to the cost of the engine rebuild yet.

I think it is worth it, or I wouldn't do it, but it still costs money, and in the end, I don't think I am going to be upside down in it financially, I'm just trying to prepare you for what lies ahead.

BY THE WAY, THANKS FOR GIVING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE!! YOU GUYS ARE THE HEROS OF OUR TIME!

Wayne
WayneMeuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

3k got me to the end of the driveway

but in all honesty it wasn't quite that bad.

I got some mud king tires (32s) AND wheels for like $850 installed, it was already lifted so i lucked out there.

If it was me in your shoes knowing what i know now i'd get that thing properly tuned up, and reliable. Check all the fluids, bearings, etc.

I'm a huge fan of reliability so i'd almost consider going with a junkyard fuel injection.

So you could probably lift it, add tires, AND fuel injection for 3k, but that's just what i'd do.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

For 3 large you need to do all the work yourself and forget spendy kits.
Determine your end goal then spend some money on tools to help get you there.
Make contacts in the local 4WD community (it will get you help & advice (take it with a grain of salt)) and possibly some parts (free or cheap).
Figure out possible possible parts change out with other vehicles.
Inventory the local scrap yards and spend a lot of time checking out possible mods on the web...

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
78CJFIVE
1978 CJ5 

I actually want the end result to be daily driver.. or at least my driver 3 days a week. I will be doing most of the work myself.
78CJFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

If you want to get nerdy about it start putting together an Excel spreadsheet with the parts you're sure you'll need and look up prices from various vendors. This has several advantages when starting a build, for one you'll have a handy list of part numbers and can easily comparison shop between vendors for the best deal. You'll be surprised how much variation there will be, one vendor will have a part for $50 that will be $75 elsewhere. But no one is consistently cheaper. The same vendor selling the cheap part for $50 will be the expensive one on something else.

Once you list all the parts you'll need you can tally the cost and see what the parts alone are going to cost you. You'll be amazed at how expensive it gets.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78CJFIVE View Post
I actually want the end result to be daily driver.. or at least my driver 3 days a week. I will be doing most of the work myself.
This post is the key and WayneMeuir hit the answer on the head.
Plan for all the maintenance first. This includes fluid changes and all the basic tune up stuff. Replace anything you think is bad. I know it's boring, but that cool 1,200 dollar stereo doesn't sound nearly as good when your broken down on the side of the road with a bad u joint (that you should have fixed!).
Since you're not planning on any mongo wheeling, you can go a lot farther with your money. As stated above, a couple of inches of lift and some nice tires. Some nice bumpers, decent sound system (I don't spend much on mine, too many stolen components), some chrome nick nacks, rugs, etc....
Do the body work yourself and rattle can the rig. You will be surprised how nice it can come out with a little patience.
Then drive the wheels off of it!!!!
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What ever you do, CUT OUT ALL THE RUST. And weld in new metal. Please save the tub from the scrap heep. And by the way my jeep is going $3000 might get me half way done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.