how far do new ball joints go in? dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > how far do new ball joints go in? dana 44

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 01-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
mowjoecj
1976 CJ7 

how far do new ball joints go in? dana 44

I just put new ball joints: Napa Chassis Parts 260-1342 and 260-1343 into my dana 30 knuckles that are going on my dana 44. The new lower joints came with a snap ring. the old ones did not have one. I can't for the life of me press that new ball joint far enough to get the snap ring on. do i have to have it? The knuckles were bead blasted and cleaned and painted. The ball joint seat were cleaned flat and i did use grease on assembly.

mowjoecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
CSP

They only go as far as having the shoulder seated on the knuckle.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
mowjoecj
1976 CJ7 

I believe they are seated, they have to be. question is, do i have to have that snap ring?
mowjoecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
CSP

No you don't need them, just like with the old ones that didn't have the snap ring.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.