How far can you stretch the front and not move the steering box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How far can you stretch the front and not move the steering box?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

How far can you stretch the front and not move the steering box?

Hey folks, I have been searching but I have not found a solid answer to this particular question. So I am throwing it out for general discussion.

I am working on going SOA on my '76 CJ5 using a Waggy 44 front and Rodeo 44 rear. The two spring choices seem to boil down to YJ rear springs with an extra main leaf for support or Waggy front springs with an extra main leaf for support. I do realize there are a bazillion other combinations, but these seem the be the common junk yard choices.

YJ springs are soft, give a good ride and are almost a straight bolt in.

Waggy springs are softer yet, and are supposed to ride better and flex better than the YJ springs. They are also offset allowing you to stretch (move) the axle about 2". Or you can turn them around and get 0 stretch but still have longer, softer springs, although you still have to move one end of the spring mounts to accomodate the longer spring.

I am going full high steer and can mount my tie rod and drag link in the stock "Y" pattern or both directly to the HS arms.

So here is my question. Can I move the front axle forward the 2" and not relocate the steering box or is that going to cause interference with steering components? Are the Waggy springs really that much better than the YJ springs that the effort is worth it?

Quite frankly I don't want to mess with swapping in a new steering shaft changing the hoses etc, I'll just stick with the YJ springs. But if I can get that extra little bit of performance for 0 cost, I'll take it.

Thanks for your patience durring this long question. My OCD getting the better of me and I am having a hard time making the decision without advice from you all.

Unread 09-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
CSP

Depends on what pitman arm you use, the diameter of your draglink/tierod, steering arm length, etc.

With Waggie springs on my CJ adding 2" to the wheelbase my draglink was into the tierod in an inverted Y configuration with high steer arms and a Waggie pitman arm.

The easiest way to avoid this regardless of the variables is to use high steer arms that place the tierod behind the axle.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

I was thinking of using my stock pitman or a waggy to keep it all in the same family. draglink and tierod came with the waggy axle.

For the high steer arms, I found the two following sites. Are there others? I suppose I can try to sell the HT arms I have already to cover part of the cost of the new ones.

http://www.harshterrain.com/parts/St...or_GM_10_Bolt/

http://rockstomper.com/catalog/steering/highsteer.htm
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

If you're sticking a waggy up front you]re going to be outboarding the spring hangers and shackle mounts.
Add a 2x4 tube crossmember to the front, push the mounts forward 4" and weld in a new steering box mount out of 3/8. Pretty simple
I've been using the CJ pitman arm for these but this next project I'm running 7/8 heims w 3/4 inch bolts, don't think there is enough meat on the CJ pitman arm to drill it 3/4 so I'm looking at info on the Astro Van or 70's Camaro pitman arms

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.