How does my head/pistons look? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How does my head/pistons look?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
elks96
1985 CJ7 

How does my head/pistons look?

Well I just pulled my head off toady. And here is what I found. The cylinders look pretty smooth. I am concerned that there is way to much carbon built up. Please realize that I had a hell of a time getting the carb and timing set. Also I have 2 distributor gear give out. This again caused timing issues. So the motor has about 3000 miles on it and most were in and out of time.

How does the head look? Should I clean it while out? If so how?

How about the pistons?

Also all the head bolts came out clean, except the very front driver side stud. It was all gummed up with dirty oil/grease. Why would it be messy/gummy?

Thanks for the help. I am learning as I go. Thanks a ton. hope to get my new CAM in this week and have it on the road by next weekend

1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Any thought? I was told a brass wheel to clean it up.
1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I would not give a second thought about cleaning up the head with a wire wheel to get the carbon off. I have done it many times and never had a problem. Now would be a great time to replace the valve seals too. If it is running, before you tear into it, I have learned to get a can of GM upper motor cleaner (Most dealers will have this) and slowly pour a can down the carb as it is running. Will take about a half hr or so and will smoke like hell but you will be surprised how little carbon will be left when you tear it down. I would not scrape or wire wheel the pistons tops if you are not going to pull them out and re-ring them.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.