How does larger tires effect speedometer and odometer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How does larger tires effect speedometer and odometer?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Lupulin

How does larger tires effect speedometer and odometer?

Hey guys. I've got a a set of 33 x 12.5's on my 81 cj7 jeep. How does this effect my speedometer and odometer readings? Do you have a conversion ratio? I would make me think that the speedometer and the odometer would read incorrectly - to the low side. Does anyone have the size of the factory tires?

81 CJ 7

Lupulin

Lupulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

The factory size was somewhere around 28". There are speedometer conversion tables all over that will give you an idea of how fast you are going by using RPM, tire size and gear ratio. The circumference of the larger tire is almost 18% more than the stock tires, so your gauge will read about 18% low.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

if you have a tranny with a 1-1 top gear no overdrive I'll be willing to bet your about 5-7 mph under the the actual peed your going..
so if your speedo's showing 45 your really going 50
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Indy

You can't do a straight assumption of speed. The error gets larger the faster you go, so you need to know the % and do the math. Or get a new speedo gear and call it good.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
fatterman

http://www.jeeptech.com/javaAps/Speedo.html

this site will tell you what tooth count you need.
fatterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Run your odometer against highway mileage markers. It will give you a good idea of how much you're off.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.